10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2009 5:54 AM by 8switch8

resize Canvas destroy Syle :(

8switch8 Level 1
      Hello,

after some search, I understand now how does a style and a vector object work together. It seems that a f.ex. rounded rectangle is by default a groupe and so most of the styles in the style panel are not working to fill the grouped shape.

So you must ungroupe this shape and the style can now apply to the shape

BUT: If you applied a style to a shap und you have to resize the canvas, the styl will be destroied :(
      Just draw a rounded rectangle, ungroupe it, apply a plastc style (like any glossy style). Than press resize canvas in the options, you will see that the style is now gone.

Is this a Bug or do I missunderstand something ?

Many thanks for any hint.

Markus
        • 1. Re: resize Canvas destroy Syle :(
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
          As you discovered, the Auto Shape Tools below the Polygonal require an 'ungroup' command for the full Style to 'take', primarily because there is a separate Panel (Window > Auto Shape Proprties), in which it's properties take precedence.

As for the 'destruction' of the style upon Canvas resize, this is not happening on my end. What OS are you on? I am on windows and the resize does not destroy the style.

h
          • 2. Re: resize Canvas destroy Syle :(
            Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee
            Hi Markus,
            Can you elaborate how are you resizing the canvas? I am also unable to see the issue.
            • 3. Re: resize Canvas destroy Syle :(
              8switch8 Level 1
              Hello,

I have made some more tests and find out that this behavior happends whe you place a text layer over the styled button.

So try this:

- open new document
              - draw an rounded rectangular and ungroupe it
              - place one of the glossy plastik style on the rectangular
              - switch to text tool and write something and place that layer over the button
              - click arrange canvas to picture (I don´t know the right english meaning ;) )
              - after that click outside the picture (into the grey area)

the filling style will be lost.... ok you could allocate the style once, but I think this is not the meaning.

I have also made a litle screen .avi of this behavior

regards.

Switch

• 4. Re: resize Canvas destroy Syle :(
                Hi Switch,

Thanks a lot for the video. It is quite clear now what is the issue you are facing.

I am not sure for the reason of this bug as I tried it on a English version of Fireworks CS4 and the color is not changing to white as seen in your video.

It seems that you have a German version of Fireworks. Is it possible for you to share the fireworks png file.

My initial thoughts are that the fill for text and rectangle are being set to white when you are clicking on the grey area around canvas.
                • 5. Re: resize Canvas destroy Syle :(
                  8switch8 Level 1
                  Hello Sarthak,

you can find my test .png here

You can see 4 different boxes wiht the same effect but very strange is, the last litle box below has no dark line in the glossy which is for my understanding the optimal style. It seems the correct style depends on the box size?!

Anyway.... if you now place f. ex. a black text anywhere into the canvas and than resize the canvas an click into the grey arear, the fill color of all boxes will be black (like the text color).

Also I see a flickering in some toolbars (mostly the option panel of the text toolbar) when I work with text, it seems the new text engine runs not quite round an needs a lot of CPU or GPU power.

Hope you will find a solution asap, cause this bug is trammeling my work every day :(

Bes regards.

Switch
                  • 6. Re: resize Canvas destroy Syle :(
                    Hi Switch,

I just worked with your png file and have not been able to reproduce the bug. It seems that you are on a platform other than English and the application version is also non English.Can you confirm?

I have done the same operations as mentioned by you and you can view them here
                    http://rapidshare.com/files/175749432/Test_Styles.swf.html
                    Thanks
                    • 7. Re: resize Canvas destroy Syle :(
                      8switch8 Level 1
                      Hello Sarthak,

yes, I have a German Web Creative Suite and my FW Version is 10.0.0.495.

I have made a new Screen movie which shows the same way like you doen.

Do you have clicked inside the gray arear after the "fit canvas" action?

Sample can be found here

Cause When I click "fit canvas" everything is OK, but when I click at last into the gray arear, the style is damaged.

Best regards.

Switch

• 8. Re: resize Canvas destroy Syle :(
                        Hi Switch,

I tried both ways with clicking in the check based gray and white area. And also the complete gray area outside the canvas.

I see the problem you are mentioning which appears only after you click on the gray area.

Thanks
                        • 9. Re: resize Canvas destroy Syle :(
                          8switch8 Level 1
                          Hello Sarthak,

hope you will fix this bug asap, cause if you design complex stuff, this manner quite sucks :(
                          Also if I use big sized fonts, the option toolbar and the whole application going sluggisch.

If you need a experimentee for some patches, let me know, I will try anything which will make FW better run for me.

Best regards.

switch
                          • 10. Re: resize Canvas destroy Syle :(
                            8switch8 Level 1
                            Hello Sarthak,

I have made some more tests regarding the style problem and I´m sure find out that this problem was produced from a extension which controles some gradient features... I have uninstalled all extensions and load after each other again and when I do the same way as described I have no problems without FW until I reload these special extension.

So it would be a great help if Adobe could make some strong compartibility tests in the extension manager to check if this extension are quite CS4 save.

Many thanks for you attention to my (unlikely self made) problem ;)

Bes regards.

switch