• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a LINK to a LOCAL FILE (without copying to assets)

Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Adobe Muse to create a beautiful dashboard for keeping tabs on various assets in the Comm department. I've discovered a feature that is - unfortunately for me - a bug:

I have all sorts of embedded assets (buttons for downloading various things) directly from our shared cloud-storage service. There are also a few files which are technically stored in that cloud-storage tool, but parts are also synced locally on a few desktops.

This presents an interesting problem since Adobe Muse really wants to copy those files into an assets folder. Heck, I even tried to out-clever Muse by sticking shortcuts to the items in a folder and linking to that. But no, Muse just crawled through and replicated the files anyway.

So is there any way I can pull this off? These particular files are always on the same drive letter and path for the other users (guaranteeing that my hard link would work for all concerned if Muse could figure out what I'm trying to do).

I hope that adequately explains my problem. I want to explore possible solutions before I throw up my hands and force the links to just access the assets in the cloud. I'm avoiding that because it's a bunch of extra clicks to open the file, via browser, and then edit it with our local Office & Adobe apps.

Thanks for your attention.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

you can use a service called tappin to link into a Seagate NAS from the internet however it sounds like you actually want to hack your own local network and if we assume (standard Windows SCSS DLNA Server + local access) then yes and no... you can map to a local address if you are willing to retype i.e, remove the http:// part of the address?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are these files... can they be placed in your CC library and linked to from there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The files can't be anyplace else than their particular home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can use a service called tappin to link into a Seagate NAS from the internet however it sounds like you actually want to hack your own local network and if we assume (standard Windows SCSS DLNA Server + local access) then yes and no... you can map to a local address if you are willing to retype i.e, remove the http:// part of the address?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mwarren  написал(а)

I hope that adequately explains my problem. I want to explore possible solutions before I throw up my hands and force the links to just access the assets in the cloud. I'm avoiding that because it's a bunch of extra clicks to open the file, via browser, and then edit it with our local Office & Adobe apps.

Thanks for your attention.

There is no solution except what was offered . You are trying to use the Muse not for its intended purpose. What you want to do is not provided in the functionality of the application. Do not waste time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tappin looks like a great resource but I know I won't receive clearance for it. I will employ my alternative method.

Thanks, both of you. I appreciate the guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines