I'm not sure if you're still interested in this; but I'm having the same problem in Internet Explorer.
Are you viewing it locally without Mark of the Web applied in the wizard? Is there a yellow bar prompting you to enable Active X?
UPDATE 8 JAN 2010
Oops! The information bar is an IE thing. Ignore this answer.
Has anyone found a fix for this issue? I'm having the exact same issue as Rebecca (in Safari 3.x only, not IE or FF), and can't find any other information on the Web outside of this thread that deals specifically with this issue.
I don't suppose you ever found a solution to this? I'm having the exact same problem. The TOC synchronizes just fine in all versions of IE and Firefox, but never does in Chrome when a link in a page is used to change the location within the TOC.
Chrome is not a supported browser.
Adobe did issue a file to enable the TOC to load in RH7 (Snippet 103 on my site) but that is not your problem, synchronisation is the issue here.
Snippet 1 does cover some synchronisation issues but I don't know if they will work for Chrome or whatever version of RH you are using.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
Follow me @petergrainge
what version of chrome are you using?
I just tried it with my project and the TOC syncs as expected.
18.104.22.168. No updates available (I believe this is the current released production build). I've had this problem since day 1 with Chrome though (been using it for about 9 months or even longer now.
I'm using RoboHelp 7.03.001 to create a WebHelp single source build with navigation pane options set to DHTML > Java Applet > Pure HTML.
I've just logged this as an issue with Adobe too.
I tried the fix available on Peter's website and that appeared to fix the TOC and Index when launched in Google Chrome, but the Search remained broken.
However, as a further test, I tried launching the newly-compiled help in Firefox (my usual browser) and the TOC, Index and Search were all broken as a result of the change, so I've had to roll back the change and log the issue with Adobe. Sigh!
Any updates or further resolutions gratefully received.
Sorry...forgot to mention that I'm using RH8...
Webhelp in Firefox usually works fine for me.
However, once I had applied the "fix" for Google Chrome, I thought I had better test Firefox to make sure nothing adverse had happened as a result. Unfortunaterly, it had, which prompted me to roll back the change...
Chrome is at version 4 now, have you updated?
Also have you tried it on Chrome on other machines, not just yours....All my TOCs sync fine in Chrome, merged projects, normal proecjts etc.
Is there anything out of the ordinary that you are doing with your topic links?
I had just installed Chrome and was trying out my RH7 WebHelp. Of course, it did not work. I was so happy when I found this thread along with the reference to your page. Our users mostly stick to IE, but I wanted to make sure the help is available on other browsers.
I'm still relatively new to authoring, so any help and tips I can find goes a long way. Thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge.
Have a nice day,
I've tried again with a help system built on another machine (Windows 7 64-bit, which works with RH7 just fine by the way!) using the browser on that machine (I've recently upgraded). Same problem. I should note that it's the latest version of Chrome as well.
I have loaded the IE tab plugin which I now use to view the help system. Because of ongoing problems with FireFox, I'm forced to suggest the same workaround in that browser as well (problem is books with topics are loaded when a sub-page is loaded...I think this is an known issue with no resolution yet).
To be clear, "the most recent version" is 22.214.171.1246.