1 2 3 4 Previous Next 129 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2018 9:35 PM by markm98896402 Go to original post
      • 80. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
        KeulerB Level 1

Hi Tara,

Here is what I saw:

The 2015 version of Premiere created the Media Cache and Media Cache Database folders for you when you changed the default directory. The 2017 version did not. So what I think happened was, when you switched to your Media drive, the code thought that the entire drive was your Media Cache location. You can prove this by checking the location in your prefs. The default setting was anything over 90 days old was to be deleted. I had multiple folders and subfolders that had all kinds of picture files and movies that were wiped out. If it was picture or video related, no matter what folder it was in, it was deleted.

If kept to the default location, the folders were created originally by either a previous version and/or by the 2017 version. It gets me as well how Adobe says "Improper Use" as if we hacked the software or something! They coded the software and provided the means to move the Media Cache folder. How is it a user's fault?

Keep your Scratch Disks where they are and try to use even a separate SSD drive for the Media Cache if you're insistant on moving it off the system drive. I did the update and a partial restore keeping the Media Cache in its default location. So far so good.

Bob K.

1 person found this helpful
        • 81. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
          Tara T Level 1

Thanks Bob.  I think you're right, I had G:\ as my Media Cache location, with no folder specified.  Interestingly, the first file I discovered was missing my the executable for MPEG Streamclip, which was sitting at the root level on G:\. 

One of the bottlenecks on my system (4-year old Alienware laptop with I7 processor, NVIDIA 770 GPU, 16GB of RAM) is that I'll have 100% activity on my C:\ drive, so I'd like to keep the Media Cache files somewhere else.  I found a 1TB drive that I can dedicate to that purpose.  Do you know if it would be best to specify it as the location for the Media Cache Database too, or should I let that use the default location on C:\? 

I am still curious to hear from Kevin why Adobe says "However, we still strongly recommend keeping the Media Cache folder separate from your original media."

Thanks for your help!

Tara

• 82. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
            al_bergstein Level 1

So I'm totally unclear of what now to do. I have not upgraded to 11.1 and I need the apparent new features that *should* read my GH5 files without crashing Pr. (interestingly the new Bridge reads them fine). So I don't want to upgrade until this is cleared up. Adobe, you have to clarify what the solution to this is. Are you going to bring out an update to fix this problem? By the way, I store my media separately from my project files, in a separate drive. My media cache is stored C (on the mac the machines' internal SSD). It sounds like those of you storing the media files in the same drive as the media are having it wipe out the media files along with the cache. Or am I misunderstanding this?

Apparently Adobe is downloading 11.1.1 now in the cloud. So I *think* I'm safe?

• 83. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
              KeulerB Level 1

Hi Tara,

If you can use the 1TB drive, use it. You can put the Database on the same drive and probably should. Adobe also recommends it.

My opinion as to why Adobe recommends keeping the Media Cache folder separate? I would think that the fix had to come out so fast that there was no time to fully test it. So, better safe than sorry.

One last note, I'm sure many of us neglect the Media Cache and the Media Cache Database. That's probably why Adobe created this new feature. If you don't maintain those folders, Premier can get sluggish and be unreliable causing possible crashes.

Best-

Bob K.

• 84. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                jstrawn Adobe Employee

al_bergstein  wrote

So I'm totally unclear of what now to do. I have not upgraded to 11.1 ... I don't want to upgrade until this is cleared up.

It is cleared up now. Update to 11.1.1 and you will not encounter the bug.

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/premiere-pro-11-1-1-update/

Upgrading from PrPro 10.4 or earlier will patch you directly to 11.1.1, same as if you were upgrading from 11.1.0.

• 85. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                  KeulerB Level 1

Hi Al,

You can update using 11.1.1.

Do one of two things:

1. Keep the Media Cache and the Media Cache Database in their default location. Or

2. If you move the Media Cache and the Media Cache Database, put them on their own dedicated SSD or Mechanical Drive. Do not put them where you have any type of media (pictures, movies, sound files, etc.)

Best-

Bob K.

• 86. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                    Tara T Level 1

Thanks very much Bob.

• 87. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                      smalonefee Level 1

The same thing happened to me although I don't believe I lost as much data as some are reporting. I did lose the last several days worth of work. I'm really shocked at what's going on here, and would very much like to know how this could have happened.

For those who might need to recover files, I have found *some* though not even close to all using Piriform's Recuva. Might be helpful for some of you: Recuva - Restore deleted files, even if you've emptied the Recycle bin! - Piriform

I hope Adobe has a good explanation for this and a plan to make it right.

• 88. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                        R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

They already have posted an explanation. It's copied into a couple of the threads on this I know.

As I've always kept the cache/media-cache database and pek files on their own disc, I wasn't going to have the issue. The way others set-up their workflow, unfortunately, made this possible, as when PrPro dumped what it thought were the folders of cache data ... well, not all of those were cache data folders now, were they?

I think it sounds more common in shops where multiple people work on projects over the course of their life, to have everything including the cache files of a project on the same drive structure.

So ... then this happens. Yikes.

Neil

• 89. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                          steveh17702721 Level 1

Hi All,

As a loyal PrPro subscriber for several years now I am appalled at the way Adobe have handled this issue. Through no fault of my own I personally I lost around 2-3Tbs of data (some of which wasn't backed up) my bad! However on a 16tb Raid 5 I foolishly thought that I had at least one back up available therein.

This caused us a very embarrassing delay to our contractual screenings of our current docu film rough cut to the Australian broadcaster and funding organisation.

I think at the VERY LEAST Adobe should offer those affected by this a 6 month free subscription. That would certainly go some way to healing the very real anxiety caused by this drama, and it was a drama...!! not only the initial loss but the ensuing weeks of wondering what was going to happen next. Every time our editor started up the machine we were on tenderhooks wondering what might occur.

Take this on board Adobe and think seriously about it! We are certainly looking at other options after this horrible glitch.

Stephen Hopes

• 90. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                            smalonefee Level 1

Perhaps I should rephrase. I'm not looking for "any" explanation, or the basic description of physically how this happened. I'm looking for a credible explanation of how adobe's development process got so screwed up this kind of thing was possible in the first place.

I don't store anything but cache files inside the cache folder, but I do often "store media cache next to project files" to save some local temp drive space as I often transfer between machines and not every one of them has as much free space. It shouldn't matter where I store my other files, though... Adobe should never EVER delete project files like this. Ever.

This shouldn't have ever even been able to happen.

So I'm not just looking for the descriptions Adobe has already provide. I'm looking for a massive apology and some kind of restitution, along with some sense that the company understands what it did is actually extremely damaging especially to people like me who make a living using their products.

• 91. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

I listed the public responses that have been linked on these user-to-user forums. To get more, you'd have to contact Adobe directly perhaps.

Yea, for a lot of commercial workflows, keeping all project assets "proximal" is very useful for moving the project to other computers. Understood.

Neil

• 92. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                Patrick J. Palmer Adobe Employee

I’m Patrick, the product manager for Premiere Pro CC and Adobe Media Encoder CC.

Regarding recent issues associated with our Media Cache management feature, I’d like to apologize on behalf of the entire Premiere Pro / AME team unreservedly for any inconvenience the we caused.

The new Media Cache feature was intended to remove unneeded system generated cache files, which was a long standing user request.  During testing of this feature we didn't cover all scenarios and the various workflows where the cache is not in the default location,  which caused media deletion in some cases. The update (Version 11.1.1 ) we have released on May 17th, 2017 fixes the problem.

During this situation we also discovered problems in our ability to rapidly communicate directly with our users. We’re working on finding ways to make these communications faster and more effective moving forward. We appreciate all the input you’ve provided on the process – please keep it coming.

We as a company feel that direct feedback is the most helpful and I’ve connected with many of you who have provided invaluable feedback . If I haven’t spoken to you yet and if you’re willing to share feedback, please send me a private message and I’ll get in touch as soon as I can.

We deeply care about your experience with our products, and we’ll do our best to make sure you’re not going to experience critical issues like this.

• 93. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                  Spacecat66 Level 1

Calling the loss of an entire multi-terabyte volume, essentially years worth of my media team's output (acquired footage, audio, edited video, animation, Premiere and AE projects, scripts, Illustrator and Photoshop artwork, etc, etc), an "inconvenience" is quite the understatement. We're lucky that we had an online backup from which we were able to restore almost all of our work, and that it didn't take longer than 4 days to fully restore. We've reorganized and changed our workflow and archive schemes as a result of this, but it's baffling that something this catastrophic could originate from a media production tool, and that modern operating systems even allow for that level of file privilege with absolutely no user prompting.

• 94. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

As a fellow user, I SO understand your situation. At least, for me, the presence on these open forums of the new PrPro Project Manager and several of the development team recently is a good change. Just didn't happen before.

Neil

• 95. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                      markm98896402

In the same boat.  I came here to update my previous post but I can't find that post.  So I'll just post here.

Working on a major documentary...while editing, over 2.4tb of data went off line and was deleted.

I bought and used a recovery tool. $90. It seems to have found everything but the links/pathways were not saved. Making that recovery almost useless. This means I'm going back to a few month old-back up and will put in about 60hrs of unpaid work to get back to where I was. So call it over $2000 out of my pocket because of this issue that Adobe knew about and had time to warn us of.

And no. I did nothing wrong.  I have been editing and teaching editing for over 2o years. I'm just appalled.  Mark McMinn

• 96. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                        al_bergstein Level 1

This is just really, really bad. I hope that Adobe's program managers, and legal team, along with their marketing people, get together and contact you all behind the scenes to "make right" this horrible situation. From everything I've read, it appears that the stress test team did not create a scenario that it probably should have found. It does not appear that the scenario that has been described in numerous posts here is outside the box of normal test scenarios. Having been in a major software developer situation, I can tell you that it appears to be a scenario that should have been tested. If I were managing this test team, I would assume they had missed a common scenario.

It would not cost much for Adobe to "make this right" for the limited set of users that have experienced this. To be clear, I am not one of them.  Just do it, Adobe.

• 97. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

Hello everyone,

We wanted to update you on the current status of the Media Cache workflow.

We have an update to Premiere Pro CC 2017.1 (11.1.x) in the pipeline that will be released very shortly. It will include additional measures to safeguard the Media Cache workflow beyond what’s already released with 11.1.1. It’s an update highly recommended by the Premiere Pro team.

The most important change is that only media cache files of a known file type (such as *.pek, *.ims and *.cfa) will be deleted according to the cache management preference. The folders they are in will remain on the system. Additionally, the Media Cache management will be off by default – a lot of users have requested to switch to an opt-in model, and that’s what it’s going to be moving forward.

This next update will also include a number of performance improvements and bug fixes in other areas, and it will include support for the 10 bit formats of the Panasonic GH-5.

Stay tuned for more info which we’ll post to the blog:

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/tag/adobe-premiere-pro-cc/?segment=dva

2 people found this helpful
                                          • 98. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

Quick update: 11.1.2 went out this morning. Here's the blog post listing all the improvements and fixes that went into this release:

Premiere Pro 11.1.2 available today – ciritical update, highly recommended | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

2 people found this helpful
                                            • 99. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                              KeulerB Level 1

Hello Mr. Palmer,

I wanted to personally thank you and your team for not only taking care of this very serious matter by supplying the .1 update, but to take it much further with the .2 update is amazing. I also want to thank you for making yourself accessible to us all and for being what appears to be the "point person" to go to with our issues and feelings. I realize you are not here to be Tech Support, but it gives me great pleasure to know that you are here to not only answer for what happened, but to stay on top of the situation by seeing to a fix and to keep us informed about it. It makes my connection with Adobe more personal rather than feeling like a number in a phone cue.

I applaud you and your team and am looking forward to putting this behind us and getting back to enjoying your amazing software.

Sincerely,

Rob Keuler

• 100. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                erinw26711176 Level 1

Patrick Palmer wrote,

"While 11.1.1 restricted cache management preference to be applied to files within the Media Cache folder structure"

This is not true.

Our drive on which the Media Cache folder resided was wiped clean of many files older than 90 days, regardless of what directory they resided in.

We lost over 4 TB of data.  Files that were nested in directories where directory was not deleted but files were.  The level of CYA and denial is amazing.

Our media cache was on root level of drive, we had no files within cache other than files that Adobe Premiere created there.  The Premiere update went on a seek and destroy mission on entire drive, wiping files but leaving directories intact, so it wasn't noticeable until days later when we need to find some older files to update an older project for a client, OMG all files are missing, where did they go?  Chcek the time stamp of when directories with missing files  was last modified... time is matching exactly to when Adobe CC performed Premiere update.   Adobe needs to be truthful about this.

Watts Communications, Editing Team

Wauwatosa, WI

• 101. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                  davecooperphoto Level 1

Sadly, this was my experience as well. All of my cache folders were on the root directory of my Drobo. When I went searching for some older files last week, I discovered folder upon folder that had been emptied. I couldn't understand what had happened at first. It was only a Google search that led me here, otherwise I'd still be scratching (pulling my hair out) my head.

Are your Premiere project files also gone? Mine are. There is no record on many projects that I ever did anything with them.

I'm running an undelete program hoping to recover the files, but as I understand it the file names will be altered during the recovery process, and therefore the structure of the project will be completely, and irrevocably broken.

I do think there is more here than Adobe is admitting to, but I'm thankful that they are at least speaking about this.

• 102. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                    Tara T Level 1

Some thoughts on this incident - I really empathize with those who've lost data.  I lost over 500GB of data, but fortunately had multiple backups and was able to restore them.  For a few weeks I thought it was a System Mechanic defrag on my PC's data drive that had caused the data loss, until I found this thread.  Despite multiple attempts to get support from System Mechanic, they have never made any effort to respond, however as soon as Adobe was aware of the problem they did everything they could to reach out to people here, and to contact all customers through email.  11.1.0 was the version with the deletion problem, 11.1.1 fixed that problem, and 11.1.2 has multiple fixes and enhancements.  They have also put in a lot of effort to improve their notification process, and I would suspect there are changes in testing being implemented too.

I've never trusted a mirroring backup system, and manually backup everything using WinMerge.  I compare what's on my master to what's on my backup, and if something is on the backup but not the master, I check to see if I really deleted it from the master, or if it indicates a data loss that needs to be restored from the backup.   It's more trouble than just letting everything backup automatically, but in a situation like this it can make all the difference.  I realize that won't bring back your data, but it might prevent a future data loss. 

• 103. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                      erinw26711176 Level 1

We would like to correct our above post as Patrick's written qoute from blog clearly says, "While 11.1.1 restricted cache management preference to be applied to files within the Media Cache folder structure" that was the version which corrected the original updates deletion problem.  \

So Patrick's quote is correct about 11.1.1,  it was the original update version that went on a seek and destroy mission of our hard drive.

Sorry for confusion on quote.

Watts Communications, Edit Team

Wauwatosa, WI

• 104. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

Hi team at Watts,

I guess this comes down to "too many numbers in one announcement" - I guess I could have included some more history and add the original 11.1 behaviour instead of just describing what's changed with the updates. Sorry for causing confusion.

A quick word on your original post: I completely understand your anger and your frustration. This should not have happened in the first place. And as Tara mentioned in her post a day ago, communications around the issue once it became known were far from ideal.

However, our intentions and our priorities are always about serving you the best we possibly can (true for me, the Premiere Pro team, and I can confidently speak on behalf of the company, too). I'm neither instructed to misguide you or hide something, and it would be my last day at Adobe if someone told me to.

Having this said: happy to get on the phone with you and discuss the problems you're still facing in more detail. Just send me a private message and let me know what's the best way for reaching out.

Sincerely,

Patrick

• 105. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                          erinw26711176 Level 1

Patrick,

Thank you for following up on this, it is appreciated.  We will be in touch shortly via private message.

Watts Communications, Edit Team

Wauwatosa, WI

• 106. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                            flyingleatherneck Level 1

Totally the same problem here. Absolutely outrageous and a disgrace on the behalf of Adobe. Only saving grace is I have backed everything up multiple times but it has relentlessly ERASED CAMERA ORIGINAL. Unbelievable.

Disgrace is too light a word.

• 107. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

... by the way, Adobe should be sued for this.

Any lawyer wants to start a class action, I am IN.

• 108. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

- and finally, the level of this is STAGGERING. That a software program could go into a folder structure that I created, a sub folder structure within that which I created as well and DELETE ALL ORIGINAL FOOTAGE (but keep all the folders, now empty) defies belief.

The program I worked on shot all around the country over 18 months and 25 different episodes. Post Production has been going on for 6 months.

Adobe creates a software program that seeks and destroys all the camera original (and sound original ). Terabytes and terabytes and terabytes of precious footage it randomly decides to ERASE.

Beyond belief.

• 109. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                                  patrickml Level 1

I am also in for lawsuit.  I lost over 7TB.  Lost a major project that I did not have a chance to back up.  Customer service didn't care. 

• 110. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

Contact the PrPro support directly ... I received emails from both Adobe Editing Manager (and now PrPro head, replacing Al Mooney in April or so) Patrick Palmer and also one from the business support or something offices wanting to know of any damage I may have received and offering to assist.

Digital Video Apps (DVA) Product Support manager Kevin-Monahan or his helpers RameezKhan or kulpreet singh can direct you to such support.

Neil

• 111. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                                      patrickml Level 1

Thanks Neil,

I did contact support and they were unconcerned or even tried to be helpful.  Here are a sample from the chat.  I will try reaching out to the people you listed instead and maybe I will have better results.  It was shameful how they just tried to blow me off. 

R: It has been fixed fixed with the latest update

Patrick Lewtschanyn: well thats great, but what about the irreplaceable media I lost?

R: I am really sorry that there is nothing we can do or we can recover anything

• 112. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

"Chat" isn't even in the same area of the company. And besides that, if you didn't know to ask for the "Video Que" ... and who does without being told about it? ... you get a generalist and they often have little personal knowledge of the video apps let alone any awareness of special issues. So yea, there ... I wouldn't expect much.

Contact the above linked people ... you should get better service.

Neil

• 113. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                                          patrickml Level 1

Yes Neil.  You are absolutely correct.  Kevin introduced me already to the right people so I am getting much better and more expected service.  Thanks for your suggestion!

Cheers,

Patrick

• 114. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

Glad you're getting assistance.

Neil

• 115. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                                              mntbloom

Add another one to the list...  my deletions happened at 2pm on May 17th...

In another thread, Adobe said they were "Sorry for this issue..."

Sorry for this issue???  SORRY FOR THIS ISSUE!?!??!!?!?!  EVERY SINGLE FILE IN EVERY SINGLE MEDIA DIRECTORY ON THE DRIVE I SHARED WITH THE CACHE FOLDER IS GONE.  MY VACATION PHOTOS?  GONE.  MY CAMERA BACKUPS?  GONE.  MY ENTIRE iTUNES LIBRARY????  GONE.

Oh, but this is the winner...  My DROPBOX FOLDER was in the same location... Guess what happened???  ALL GONE!!!!  Folders there, files GONE.  Oh, and thanks to Dropbox's syncing, all the files on DROPBOX WERE DELETED TOO!!!!!!!!

I do NOT accept your apology.

Extremely unhappy, utterly freaked out, and just completely crushed.

12 hours after I posted this - I've spent over $200 on recovery software (EaseUS and Stellar Phoenix) and have recovered about 1/3 of my assets.  Dropbox was able to restore the files on May 18th, but I thought it was a DropBox issue at the time... so I didn't check other directories.  The restore of my DropBox surely added to the corruption of the other deleted files... so frustrated.  If I'd caught it right away, I might have been able to save... but essentially, 2/3 of everything on that drive, older than 90 days from May 10th, or so is gone.

Yeah yeah... backups... but this is not right.

• 116. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

Have you contacted Kevin Monahan, Product Support Manager for PrPro? If not, please do so ... and I'll "ping" him here.

Kevin-Monahan

Neil

• 117. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                                                  davecooperphoto Level 1

I've just messaged Kevin. Thanks for the heads up.

• 118. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                                                    mntbloom Level 1

Sigh.. what's the point?  I've now spent $230 on restore and (attempted and failed) file repair software.  What is Adobe going to do for me?  There's nothing to restore...  I've been running restore attempts, and I'm seeing that files have been written over by newer files - they are just gone.  My wife is heartbroken.  I'm devastated.  My trust of Adobe and Premiere and my computer in general is dashed.  It's as if our house was broken into and the drive was stolen...

$230 on restore and repair software... for nothing.

• 119. Re: Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade
                                                                                      mntbloom Level 1

Maybe it's just therapy at this point...  but weeks later and I'm still discovering things that are missing, still finding things broken, still facing daily reminders about what was removed/broken.  Does ANYONE know if Adobe is going to do anything about this (beyond the fix...)

Again, maybe no one else is still following this thread... but I check often to see if there is any further action from Adobe.

Still dejected.

mb