14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 8:19 PM by rrhyne

Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying

rrhyne Level 1
      I've been working on my AIR app for a while now and would like to get some developer feedback...

Popling is a web site + desktop app that shows you flash cards every few minutes (you decide how often) through an unobtrusive growl like notification window. If you aren't busy, click the notification to view the flash card. If you are busy, ignore it and it goes away. It's a great way to passively learn anything you can learn with flash cards and works especially well for learning languages.

Popling.net

I'd love to hear your feedback!

NOTE: This isn't the original post, I hope it's close to it.

• 1. Re: Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
          John Hall Level 4
          Sorry, but when you ask someone to sign up for a commercial service with all the demographics you want to collect, I'm not longer interested in checking out the app and giving opinions. Sorry bout that but thought I'd share my reaction to your call for feedback.
          • 2. Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
            rrhyne Level 1
            Thanks John, but I'm confused as to what you mean by demographics. This is what the signup form requests:

Username, Email, DOB for password retrieval, and Password

So other than the DOB, what exactly do you mean by demographics?

Also, Popling is Free. I hope to support the service with premium memberships and in the future ads on the free version.
            • 3. Re: Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
              snorky Level 1
              if you truly seek "developer feedback" then you should provide a demo login account that developers can use to go in and try your app.

if you really want help/advice you have to make it easier. people will take a minute to look at your app and provide valuable feedback but not if you require them to sign up first!
              • 4. Re: Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
                rrhyne Level 1
                Snorky,

I truly and really would like feedback, but content displayed in the app is linked to the users web account. I'd rather not provide a test account for that reason.

Guys and girls, I'm not trying to spam here, it's on topic and I was hoping to add to the community discussion by posting my project here. I'd love to see what others are working on as well.

• 5. Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
                  snorky Level 1
                  I'm not saying you are a spammer. what I am saying is that if you want people to help out you must make it easy for them to do so. had a test account been provided you would now be reading my feedback on your app rather than my "advice"!
                  • 7. Trainweck
                    Level 1
                    I havent got around to testing it yet coz Im slack, but I like the idea.
                    Instead of just questions, Id like it to just flash up facts aswell (with no interaction needed). I have a shocking memory and itd make nice memory joggers...oh and I want it for info on programming languages. I dont know if you allready have but maybe instead you could make it so that if you dont answer the question after a certain amount of time it shows the answer.
                    Great idea tho.

EDIT: Just noticed you removed the details of your app in the first post...i rekn you should put em back.
                    I dont see whats wrong with asking for opinions on your app and the registration process really was no hassle.
                    • 8. Re: Trainweck
                      rrhyne Level 1
                      Thanks for the feedback PAEz.

Ease of signup/install is definitely a problem. I don't think I would have encountered so much opposition if all you have to do is install the app. So here's an idea:

Install the app, the app talks to the webserver and generates a unique app id, no signup necessary. I just have to figure out how to tie it into the AUTH system on the website so users can manage their account. This could take a while though.

As for pulling the post, I guess I'm being thin skinned. Launch your little baby in the wild and it makes you a little sensitive. HEH.

I don't have the original post, but I'll put something similar back up. My bad.
                      • 9. Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
                        rrhyne Level 1
                        quote:

Originally posted by: PAEz.
                        Instead of just questions, Id like it to just flash up facts aswell (with no interaction needed). I have a shocking memory and itd make nice memory joggers...

That feature is there. There are some scabble Poplings you can subscribe to that show you 2, 3, 4 letter words, with no answer required. The interaction model might require some work though, like having the notification just scroll through them, instead of waiting for you to interact with the main window, then displaying the next one.

quote:

oh and I want it for info on programming languages.

I've been thinking about that, but undecided as to how the cards would be formated. Take this for PHP:

question:
                        Computes the difference of arrays using keys for comparison

answer:
                        array_diff_key

Would that be the kind of thing you are looking for? What language would you want to see, maybe I can make a few card sets for it. :D

quote:

I dont know if you allready have but maybe instead you could make it so that if you dont answer the question after a certain amount of time it shows the answer.

Maybe a hint button?
                        • 10. Re: Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
                          John Hall Level 4
                          Played with it some last night since I used to speak Portugues. It was fun and intuitive. The only thing I would prefer to have is a setting where it automatically hides after answering the question after x seconds if the answer is correct, or something along those lines.
                          • 11. Re: Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
                            rrhyne Level 1
                            John,

Thanks TONS for giving it a go. With your auto hide suggestion, I'm worried that some users wouldn't understand what is happening when it auto hides and would be confused. I agree though, it's very important that the app goes away as easy as it appears. It should be motivating, but not cause procrastination or distraction. Hopefully, the hide button being 2nd in the tabindex. will help users like you and I put the app away quickly.

I really appreciate your feedback. How much Portuguese did you recall? :D

• 12. Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
                              laurent22300 Level 1
                              I've registered but I can't install the app. I get this error in the badge:

"Error! Running locally? The AIR proxy swf won't load properly when this demo is run from the local file system."

Edit: Ignore my comment - it was because of the Adblock plugin
                              • 13. Re: Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
                                John Hall Level 4
                                Hi. I did pretty darn well on the portuguese. What I was suggesting with autohide would be a preference that someone has to go looking for. If they have that motivation, it's because they want to customize its behavior. I agree, the default out of the box should be an intuitive tab index.
                                • 14. Re: Review My App: Popling.net, learning without studying
                                  rrhyne Level 1
                                  Laurent, I've never, ever, seen that error. I'm on contract away from home the next couple of days, but I'll research it when I get a chance. What operating system?

John, head to Rio, while you still have it. I'll think about that idea, it's interesting. :D