Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simulation Quiz Results always 100%

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm new to Captivate and can't figure out how to make incorrect clicks count as failed attempts in a simulation assessment. I must be missing something really obvious, but I can't find any help on the forums/Google.

If I tell the learner to click "Adobe" in the upper left of this page, and they do, they get a point and the project goes to the next slide. I can do this, no problem.

The issue is if they click somewhere else, and then eventually figure out where to click, they are also given the point. What I want, is if they don't click "Adobe" on the first attempt then they get no points for that slide.

I thought I could just record and the default settings or some minor tweaks would get me there, but I've changed around quite a few things and can't figure it out.

Any ideas?
Thank you!

(Captivate 9 on Windows)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

I just re-read through your original posts and I think you may need to rethink what you are trying to achieve because some of your ideas are in conflict with each other, or at least with the way Captivate quizzing and interactivity works.

You originally said you wanted the user to be given a point if they clicked the correct spot and then advance to the next slide.  But if they clicked somewhere OTHER THAN the correct spot then they would not be given a point for that slide.

To achieve that result

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that the Interactive object they click (i,e button or click box) is set to only 1 attempt, not Unlimited attempts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this created using the Record Software simulation, Assessment Mode? For some weird reason the number of attempts is set to Infinite in that case. For that reason, whenever I install Captivate (or a patch), one of the changes I will make to the Preferences, is to reduce that number of attempts to 1 or 2, before capturing any simulation assessment:

PreferenAssessment.png

This will have no effect on existing assessment simulations however. And I don't know about a way to apply the change from Infinite to a limited number to all click boxes and text entry boxes inserted during an assessment simulation. Easiest work flow (for me) is to open the Advanced Interaction panel, which is dynamically linked to the Properties panel, and select one by one each scored item to edit the number of attempts. Long time ago this was possible in the Advanced Interaction panel but that useful feature was taken away in CP5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. I will change these default settings. This makes much more sense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you RodWard and Lilybiri for these responses!!!

I had already tried changing the number of attempts and it didn't work on my project. As a test, I created a new assessment and changed the settings as Lilybiri described (before doing the recording), and it does accurately count the accurate clicks.

The problem now is I don't see a way to set things so that if the learner doesn't get it correct the first time, they can eventually click the right spot and have that click advance the slide. That is, I would like the only way to get to the next slide be by clicking in the right spot. When you click anywhere else, I will be describing that area of the screen and giving hints on how to click the right spot.

I saw how to set the last attempt off of continue, so it doesn't automatically advance after the wrong clicks. But when you do eventually click the right spot nothing happens. Because Captivate doesn't think it's a success anymore, I presume. 

I originally made this in custom, but like I said, to test out your advice I just recorded a regular assessment. Going back to my original project or even with this little test assessment I made, I don't see how I'll get it to function the way I'd like.

Any further ideas would be much appreciated!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you said above that you "tried changing the number of attempts and it didn't work", WHERE did you try changing this number of attempts?  Was it in the Project Preferences for the Recording Mode (as Lilybiri shows above) or at the Preferences > Quiz > Pass or Fail screen, or for each individual Click Box on your slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just re-read through your original posts and I think you may need to rethink what you are trying to achieve because some of your ideas are in conflict with each other, or at least with the way Captivate quizzing and interactivity works.

You originally said you wanted the user to be given a point if they clicked the correct spot and then advance to the next slide.  But if they clicked somewhere OTHER THAN the correct spot then they would not be given a point for that slide.

To achieve that result, Captivate e-learning authors will normally set the click box covering the correct spot to only have 1 attempt allows so that Failure caption will immediately show, and then execute whatever action you have set for that On Last Attempt event.  This will usually be to jump to the next slide.  If the intention is for the learner to be able to come back and reattempt the same slide again, then multiple attempts for the entire quiz can be allowed and a Retake Quiz button shown on the Quiz Result slide so that the quiz score is reset to zero and the learner is returned to the start of the quiz for a new attempt.

However, your last post has now said that you want the slide set up so that the learner can ONLY advance to the next slide by clicking the correct spot. Your two requests are in conflict here.  For the learner to remain on the same slide clicking away until they hit the correct spot, you'd need to allow multiple (even Unlimited) attempts on the Click Box. 

Another thing you originally asked for was that once the learner eventually DID click the correct spot they should NOT be given a point score unless they got it right on the first try.  That's not the way Captivate interactive objects work.  The point is awarded for a Successful attempt, regardless of whether it was achieved on the first try or after several attempts (if multiple attempts are allowed).

So you need to decide which is more important to you.  Is it more important that the learner MUST remain on the same slide until they click the right spot?  Or is it more important to you that the learner ONLY receives a point score when they click the right spot first time.  You cannot have both in this instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is the issue. I didn't realize what I was doing wasn't possible. Thank you so much for taking the time to figure this out!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On each slide, but this is becoming irrelevant because your answer below describes the situation. What I'm trying to do is apparently impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally contradictory indeed!

The only way that could probably be used is to have two click boxes: the first is used for the primary attempt and has a score attached to it. If the user doesn't click in the right location the first time, the Failure event is used to trigger an advanced action. That action should hide (which means disable) the first click box and replace it by a second click box (originally hidden in output) which has no score. The first click box has only one attempt, for the second click box you can even have Infinite attempts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this suggestion. I think I'll need to think this through a bit more on whether I want this to even function as it does now. Maybe I'll just have roll over explanations, then have the user click next on the playbar when they are done with the screen. I could then have a separate assessment that functions more simply, click in the correct spot and you get a point and advance. Click in the wrong spot and it advances, but no point. The results page will let them know how they did.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources