4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2017 11:57 PM by joshmorison

separating out images from .ai and .eps files

joshmorison

Hey everyone,

I had a graphic designer do some work for me and was provided the outputs in both a .ai file and .eps file; both of which contain the various logo's and icons etc that were done up for me.

I have .jpg's of them as well but want to know if it's possible to somehow separate each image out from either the .ai or .eps files into their own smart objects in photoshop so that I can use them on my own content later on.

I have a photoshop + lightroom subscription to creative cloud if that helps.

Please help a total beginner out!!

Thanks,

J

• 1. Re: separating out images from .ai and .eps files
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Very likely the designer created the logos as separate objects in Illustrator and, if printing is a consideration, you should use the vector data for its superior output and not pixel images like jpg.

If you do not have a full CC license that entitles you to use Illustrator you could use the 7-day-trial and see how far you get.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: separating out images from .ai and .eps files
            Bahaar Khan Level 4

up wn voteaccepted

You could technically open EPS files with Photoshop, but this would rasterize the graphics. Because of this, Illustrator is a better option.

If your image has the icons sorted in a grid, you could just draw slices and export them that way.

Using Slices

There are a few ways to create slices from elements:

• Select one or more objects on the artboard, and choose Object > Slice > Make.
            • Select the Slice tool and drag over the area where you want to create a slice. Shift-drag to constrain the slice to a square. Alt‑drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) to draw from the center.
            • Select one or more objects on the artboard, and choose Object > Slice > Create From Selection.
            • Place guides where you want to slice the artwork, and choose Object > Slice > Create From Guides.
            • Select an existing slice, and choose Object > Slice > Duplicate Slice.

Then you just need to save the result as PNG using Save For Web & Devices.

(Source: Adobe Help)

Using Layers and Scripts

You could also use a script like this one: Export Illustrator Layers as PNGs.

• 3. Re: separating out images from .ai and .eps files
              joshmorison Level 1

Hey, great idea!  I never thought of that.  Then I suppose I could relatively easy create each logo/icon as it's own file and then open them as smart objects in photoshop to add to a library.

At this point they're intended use is for digital media but I might want to use them in print at a later stage...  Thanks for the reply.

• 4. Re: separating out images from .ai and .eps files
                joshmorison Level 1

Thanks for this!  I'm not sure if they're in a grid; I think they are so I might give this a go and see how far I get.  Thanks for the reply.