4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2017 6:10 AM by Stephen_A_Marsh

Previously used batch re-size actions in PS5 now not adding jpg suffix

Mellie28

I have a problem with batch re-sizing actions in PS5.

I have many re-size actions that I have made & used in PS in the past, but now all the re-size actions do not add a jpg suffix. I can view them in Bridge but when I load the re-sized images to Dropbox for clients they are not visible.

When I view the re-sized file in Bridge they are viable but have not jpg suffix.

Any help welcome, thanks!

• 1. Re: Previously used batch re-size actions in PS5 now not adding jpg suffix
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Hi Mellie

Can you clarify a couple of points?

What operating system are you using?

Do the resize Actions use pixel values?  Some Actions are affected by what the Rulers are set to for instance.

Are the extensions present when viewed in File Explorer or Finder? Assuming they are set to do so — this is the Windows 10 View tab option.

Bridge is probably showing you the preview from cache.  You could prove that by purging cache for one of the folder locations.

It might be useful to twirl open one of the Actions and pasting a screen shot of it to this thread.

[EDIT]  Our JJMack  is a wizz with Actions.  He'll be along to add his two cents worth some time soon methinks.

• 2. Re: Previously used batch re-size actions in PS5 now not adding jpg suffix
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

If you want to batch process your image files and save different sizes and image file types of your images your best option to download and install the Image processor Pro Photoshop Plug-in.  Once Installed It can be ust when your using Bridge and Photoshop. In Bridge you select the thumbnail of your Image Files you want to batch process then use Bridge's menu Tools>Photoshop>Image Processor Pro and when your using  Photoshop you use Photoshop's menu File>Automate>Image Processor Pro.  Being its a Photoshop Plug-in you cal also record using it in an Action.  You can add your own customization by including simple action you record and configure into Image Processor Pro dialog.  In A single run I create 10 different size jpeg image files for my images to be use with my different display devices.   I included actions that crop and Resize my images for my different devices. The Actions did not have to do the resizing.  I could have used the Image Processor pro Dialog options and have it do the resizing of my image.  However having the resize in the action let my use the action on a single document I working on.  The Actions only have three steps.

Aspect Selection Ratio

Image Crop

Fit Image.

Aspect Ratio Selection and Fit Image are also Photoshop Plug-ins. When you record a Plug-in  in an Action  the Plug-in will record the dialog setting you use in its dialog into the Action step. When the Action is used the recorded setting will be passed by the action to the Plug-in. The Plug-in will bypass displaying its dialog and use the passed settings.

Aspect Ratio Selection is a Plug-in I wrote and include in my crafting action package.  Fit Image is Adobe's plug-in installed with Photoshop.

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
            Contains

Example
            Download

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

• 3. Re: Previously used batch re-size actions in PS5 now not adding jpg suffix
              Mellie28 Level 1

Hi Trevor.Dennis & JJMack

I am so grateful for all of your very detailed replies, it is much appreciated.

I will read through again, and action some of your suggestions etc.. and see how I go. The actions I made for re-sizing were some time ago but have always worked up until a few months ago, well that's when I noticed it anyway.

Thanks you again for taking the time to send detailed & helpful replies.

Warm Regards

Melanie

• 4. Re: Previously used batch re-size actions in PS5 now not adding jpg suffix
                Stephen_A_Marsh Adobe Community Professional

A reactive move would be to batch add the file name extension back in using Bridge (if you are sure that it is not simply hidden by your OS).