1 2 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2017 10:17 AM by Clemzy

LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Tiboine Level 1

My PC: i7 6700k, 32GB DDR, Samsung SSD, GTX 1070 Windows 10

Lightroom is very slow at basic tasks like select images, change module, write caption title etc.

Can take up to 10 seconds just to select a few images. small jpgs as well as hires raws. LR freezes for some seconds (not responding).

What I have tried:

uncheck/check gpu acc.

reset preferences.

removed all plugins

disabled all plugins

uninstall and reinstall LR

made a new catalog with just 130 images. Same response as catalog with 100k images.

When browsing images, the cpu usage goes up to 10-15%

It's been like this since last fall when I built this PC. On my macbook pro 2011 it is just regular slow. Not ridiculous slow like this.

But tasks like editing images with the sliders in dev module, import and export seems to run like normal.

• 1. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
          Rikk Flohr - CM Adobe Employee

Can you give us a complete description of your storage attached to this machine?

Where are images stored?

Where is the catalog stored?

Where is the Lightroom program file stored?

• 2. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
            Tiboine Level 1

ah yeah sorry. all on SSD via Sata3

• 3. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

All on the same SSD?

• 4. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                Tiboine Level 1

yes.

and in another scenario I have the pictures on internal HDD. No difference at all. (LR catalog etc on SSD)

I don't notice any difference on editing/browsing images that are on a SSD or a HDD.

• 5. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

SSD Capacity?

Free Space?

Any network assets attached?

• 6. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                    Tiboine Level 1

500gb. 130gb free. no network.

LR cache set to 60GB

• 7. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Makes sure all background activities are 'Paused.'

This user with a very similar system is seeing very good LR performance: Processing Large Files

• 8. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                        Tiboine Level 1

all of them are unchecked. the problem isn't processing image. i.e. sliders in develop module. but basically everything else. doesn't matter the image size.

I will make a screen video of the issues when I find out how to do that.

• 9. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

What LR version are you using? Help> System Info?

Try changing the Library module Metadata panel to the 'Default' setting.

• 10. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                            Tiboine Level 1

Latest CC. it is on default

• 11. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

So just to confirm you are running LR CC 2015.10 and tried 'Use Graphics Processor' unchecked in Preferences,  reset LR Preferences, created a new catalog and imported 130 images into it, installed/reinstalled LR, removed all plugins, and set the Metadata panel to 'Default' setting. After making these changes the Library module functions remain persistently slow, but the Develop module controls function normally.

Two more things to try:

1) Change the monitor profile to sRGB if using a standard gamut display or Adobe RGB if using a wide gamut display:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-w hether-its-corrupted/

2) Update your graphics driver: nVidia drivers

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                Tiboine Level 1

Can't say that it improved. maybe 5-10% improvement.

But I have been calibrating my display since I got this. And graphics drivers have been updated several times since last fall. Haven't noticed any changes between that.

So what else do you suggest? But a mac? It went relatively smoothly on my mac mini 2012

• 13. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

As I mentioned in my first reply, This user with a very similar system is seeing very good LR performance:

Processing Large Files

I also don't think this is an issue with the type of system you're using since you say,  "sliders in dev module, import and export seems to run like normal."  Most performance complaints concern the Develop module or simply ALL of LR's functions.

We're missing a key piece of information to solve this issue. I'm suspect of the image files you're processing, but you say "On my macbook pro 2011 it is just regular slow. Not ridiculous slow like this." I assume you mean using the exact same image files, correct? BTW- What type of image files are you processing that have this issue? I suggest uploading a few of the files with the issue to Dropbox for examination.

Since you say "It's been like this since last fall when I built this PC" you may have a basic system configuration issue. You can download and run the PassMark Performance Test,which has a 30-day free trial period:

PassMark PerformanceTest - PC benchmark software

You should achieve an 'Average CPU Mark' score of ~11,000:

PassMark - Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - Price performance comparison

• 14. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                    Tiboine Level 1

I made a screencap. free version only limited to 3 minutes. At the end I was going to enter text in the description tab, but LR didn't register the mouse click, so it started doing actions based on the letter I typed. A common scenario for me. I was writing "very slow", and LR started doing commands based on those letters.

does this look like normal LR perfomance? Lightroom windows - YouTube

• 15. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                      Tiboine Level 1

And I would like to add that LR is the only app that shows any slowness (well, except from Premiere lagging sometimes. The Adobe lag as I like to call it).

• 16. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

This is definitely not normal behavior for ANY system. It appears you have a resource bottle-neck somewhere. I suggest running the following benchmark test and check the CPU, Disk, and Memory performance numbers:

PassMark PerformanceTest - PC benchmark software

• 17. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                          Tiboine Level 1

Ok. So I ran the benchmark. First i got only 3800 (total. the 11k number you refer to is cpu only. I got 11500 there). And noticed that the 2D performance was really low. like GT 630 low.

So I reinstalled the graphics driver, and what do you know, the graphics performance went up to over GTX980 scores. (5800 points total)

So that fixed Lightrooms lag.

I didn't think of reinstalling the graphics driver since it was only LR that lagged. And I have been updating the graphics drivers several times without noticing any improvement in LR.

• 18. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Does that take care of your open Lightroom issues, Tor?

• 19. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                              Tiboine Level 1

It seems like LR is back to its normal slowness. So yeah, it did take care of my Lightroom issues.

• 20. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Good to hear. We'll work on 'normal slowness' next.  Thanks for your help and a shout out to TRSHANER!

• 21. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                                  bob frost Level 3

Thanks indeed to trstraner for the info about the Performance test. I didn't know what to expect of my homebuilt computer, except that it ought to be fastish, and I don't have any real performance problems with LR (only the slowdown with time).

For the Record, my test results were:-

Passmark     6246

cpu             15999

2D                 990

3D                4135

Memory        3041

Disk            14184

The hardware is i7-5930K cpu, M2000 Quadro, Samsung 860 ssd, 32GB ram.

Bob F.

• 22. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Tiboine  wrote

So that fixed Lightrooms lag.

I didn't think of reinstalling the graphics driver since it was only LR that lagged. And I have been updating the graphics drivers several times without noticing any improvement in LR.

Good to hear reinstalling the graphics drivers resolved the issue. To help others that land here with the same issue did you do anything differently this time compared to your previous updating of the graphics drivers? A graphics driver reinstallation should include uninstalling all of the current Nvidia named drivers using Windows Programs and Features, selecting 'Custom' installation setting with the new driver, and then checking 'Clean Install,' which resets the Nvidia Control Panel Preferences to the default settings.

Concerning the "normal slowness" I suggest going through trouble-shooting process again. Any changes you made previously were "masked" by the graphics driver issue so no way of telling if they helped. This would include creating a new catalog and importing some image files for testing, changing the display profile to sRGB or Adobe RGB, and resetting the Preferences file again.

Most all of the "unfixable" performance issues are with systems that use a 6 or more core processor. You have an i7-6700K quad-core system. We know at least one user is experiencing good performance with a very similar system using 42 Megapixel raw files and a 4K (3840x2160) display. What camera model files and display(s) are you using? This has the largest effect on LR's performance than any other factor!

• 23. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Thanks Bob, you're one of the few people reporting in the forums that does NOT have LR issues using a 6-core processor system.

For comparison my much more modest i7-860 quad-core, Nvidia Quadro 600, 12GB, SSD system has no real issues processing 21 Mpixel 5D MKII raw files using a single 2560x1440 display. I've also done some testing using 50 Mpixel 5D MKIV raw files with very little difference in LR's performance noted. I do sometimes see the slowdown over time inside LR, but it's unpredictable.

Here are my PassMark results for comparison:

Frost   Shaner

Passmark     6246   2316

CPU           15999   5154

2D                  990     537

3D                4135     776

Memory        3041   1758

Disk            14184   2385

Percentile                   58% World Average

Quite a difference! What camera model files and display(s) are you using?

• 24. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                                        Tiboine Level 1

The difference I did now was to uninstall the driver instead of just updating it.

Updating the driver didn't seem to have any effect. I have updated the graphics driver several times this year without LR caring about that.

and for the normal slowness, I'll just refer to google https://www.google.no/search?q=lightroom+slow&oq=lightroom+slow&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61l2j 0l3.2716j0j1&sourceid=chrome&i…

Lightroom in the last iterations have never felt snappy. And as many other people have discovered, there is a diminishing return. faster PC spec doesn't translate into faster LR.

Last year I had a mac mini 2012 2.6ghz 16GB of ram and fusion drive. LR doesn't feel any faster now with my current spec.

And as for the "use graphics processor" option. Everywhere I read they say to turn it off to increase performance. Even Adobe reps says that. Why have it there to begin with?

in premiere there is a real performance boost when using the GPU to render instead of the cpu. Couldn't the engineers put that same engine into lightroom?

Anyway, this is over my pay grade, so I don't really need an answer to this as there is nothing I can do about it. But just putting it out here.

• 25. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

I understand–At least we got you back to "normal slowness." From the posted PassMark results system and yours have about 2x more performance than mine. Bob and I have have no major issues (gradual slow-down with time), but you do. Go figure! Hopefully performance will be improved in a future LR release that better utilizes system resources.

• 26. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                                            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom in the last iterations have never felt snappy. And as many other people have discovered, there is a diminishing return. faster PC spec doesn't translate into faster LR.

I agree with that. I have two systems, one high-end and one midrange, and Lightroom is actually a tad faster with the latter.

There is ridiculously slow, and there is workable. A lot of people say there's no problem. My own experience (confirmed by what I've been reading), is that Lightroom has never been truly instant. There is always this little, annoying delay. How much it bothers you, depends on circumstances.

I've begun to suspect that this is just the downside of parametric editing. A new adjustment doesn't pick up where you left - instead it pushes all the other previous adjustments ahead of it in a longer and longer queue.

If one single problem can be separated, it seems to me to be reading from the caches (ACR cache or Previews). Why does it always take at least a half second (or several seconds as the case may be) before it snaps into focus? Maybe it's the queue again. But it does this even if the preview hasn't been updated, and you're just flipping through a couple of frames.

I've never seen any noticeable slider delay. That part is fine. But going through a large shoot can be a serious test of patience.

• 27. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                                              Tiboine Level 1

well, this didn't last long.

Just finished a job. imported 1300 new images. And LR is bag to it's useless slowness. culling these images will take a while ...

• 28. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Did you try closing and restarting LR? What you describe sounds like the "normal slowness" issue and that's the only fix for now. I can edit about 50-100 image files and then things start to slow down more and more..... Some people see this happen after editing only 5 image files.

• 29. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                                                  Tiboine Level 1

yes of course. that's the first thing I do when things are going slow.

normal slowness is how LR normally is.

• 30. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                                                    Tiboine Level 1

Ok. Looks like I have found the issue. After I reinstalled the driver, I also re calibrated the monitor using the spyder pro. And after I did that, LR started lagging again. So I deleted the monitor profile made by spyder. And then LR worked as normal.

This isn't a good solution. Any idea why that happens?

• 31. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

That's interesting, and it has been discussed before. The thing is that the monitor profile is constantly read, and every time you make an adjustment, a new conversion is performed.

• 32. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Yep, it's been discussed way to many times with no assistance coming form Adobe Staff. LR is very finicky about the type of display profile and some may work fine with PS, but cause performance or rendering issues (color, contrast) with LR.

The general consensus is that a Matrix ICC Version 2 profile is most compatible, and Lookup Table (LUT) ICC Version 4 profiles may cause issues. I say "may" because some users have reported no issues with either profile type. What Spyder model are you using? Try creating a new Spyder profile using the 'Expert' or 'Advanced' mode and selecting 'Matrix for profile type and ICC Version 2. The availability of these settings varies by Spyder model and perhaps even generation (3, 4, 5).

Please let us know your results and I will try to get this resolved.

• 33. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Which version of the Spyder device?

What is your software version currently in use from Datacolor?

• 34. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

The general consensus is that a Matrix ICC Version 2 profile is most compatible, and Lookup Table (LUT) ICC Version 4 profiles may cause issues.

True, and it's perfectly possible the Spyder makes v4 by default. LUT is less likely, it's probably just matrix.

However, in this case I was more thinking along the lines of "profile drag" so to speak, a profile that basically works, but has some problems that cause the app to slow down. I remember someone (Rob Cole?) digging into things and being genuinely surprised at how much time and CPU cycles were spent on loading and reading the monitor profile.

I use ColorNavigator, which has a lot of options for profile policies and general anatomy. It also lets you quickly switch between profiles (although an app relaunch is still required). In any case, I'll keep an eye on this.

• 35. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC

Additionally, is there any chance you saved that problematic profile and would be willing to share it with us?

• 36. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                                                                simonsaith Adobe Employee

What is the resolution of the monitor? Do you have dual monitor setup? GPU acceleration on and working?

The type of color profile might be a factor.

There is a bug fix a while back in the context of soft-proofing where Lr would scan the color profiles more often than necessary. But in general, Lr would read the monitor color profile once per application session, reuse the cached version when requested later.

• 37. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                                                                  Mona S. Level 1

I am having the same slow issues in the library and develop mode.  I read much of the thread and I can't seem to decide what to do with my computer.  Maybe someone can help me too.  I ran the performance test and this is what my new computer resulted while LR was running:

Passmark:  3557

CPU: 8215.5

2d:  603.1

3d:  4278.6

Memory Mask:  2347.1

Disk Mark:  2475.9

My system is a Windows 10, HP Omen gaming computer, 2 hard drives, SSD 188gb and Data Drive 2TB, 16 GB Ram, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, 64-bit OS, x64-based processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070.

I restart LR.  I turn off graphics processor.  I use smart previews.  I have the library in the SSD.  I have the images in the Data drive.  I've tied putting both in the Data drive.  It's still slow that way.

I have not uninstalled the graphics driver since this is a brand new computer from HP.

I process RAW images from a Canon 5D Mark III.  I optimize my catalog.  I just want to skim through my images, pick the best ones, and then develop the selects.  I could start with 600-1000 images and them cull it down to 300.  It's slow in both.

If anyone can help me, I'd love some advice.  Thanks, Mona

• 38. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                                                                    Tiboine Level 1

you know what. LR fu*kings stinks! After a few days of adequate slowness, it is starting to bog down again. And I haven't done anything like install drivers or calibrated anything.

Half the time I stare on some sort of loading screen og Lightroom not responding message. And god forbid if I have a video file. then I can add 20 seconds to time I will never get back. And when that's done, it won't even play the video! Not that I really use LR for video anyway since it doesn't do video well.

Adobe should give out free punching balls so the customers have someplace to relief the stress it's causing.

#!!!

• 39. Re: LR CC VERY slow on hi-end PC
                                                                                      Tiboine Level 1

2017-05-08 12_06_31-TIBoine - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library (Not Responding).jpg

a very common sight with LR

1 2 Previous Next