Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to pull columns together?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm having problems with columns in a document. I have some paragraphs that consists of lists of words, and to keep these paragraphs shorter, I thought of creating columns "locally" instead. However, I think the columns are too far apart but can't get them close enough:

columns.PNG

In this particular place, the words paragraph style has left indent of 70 to keep them some distance from the left border. The column options are Split columns 2 with no gutter (inner/outer). If I raise the outer gutter, they move closer to each other but not close enough until they suddenly just starts jumping around.

I'm really a newbie in ID so there might be an easy answer...

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try to split into 3 columns? Or even 4 columns

You can also prepare two independent text frames with text flow beetween

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi macpawel and thanks for helping out! I've thought about those solutions but the problem is that if I choose additional columns the text will line break and the words still be too far apart (sorry, am not at the computer so I can't show a screenshot), just like there were indents messing it up.

You are absolutely right in that I could make multiple text frames but I'd love to find a solution just based in styles.

Johan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really a newbie in ID so there might be an easy answer...

Don't draw your text frames to the page dimensions or try to set the margin via the paragraph indent. You can setup margin guides and the draw a 2 column text frame to the guides:

You can set an individual page's or the entire document's margin guides before you draw your text frame

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 7.56.49 AM.png

Object>Text Frame Options

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 7.58.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.03.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-25 at 8.03.57 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Not so cool if text length very different! …

Below what many people would like to play! 

[ No table, no several columns, … only one text frame and the "span" feature! ]

Capture d’écran 2017-04-25 à 14.16.06.png

MTFBWY!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so cool if text length very different! …

the words paragraph style has left indent of 70 to keep them some distance from the left border

My main point was the OP is trying to set page the margin via the paragraph's left indent, which is definitely no so cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sith "Span" feature cool it could be but not frankly operational and too unstable it is!

Disturbed here the balance of The Force I feel! …

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear your left indent must be if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In The Dark Side Siths thoughts more obscured they are! …

Capture d’écran 2017-04-25 à 15.26.03.png

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for helping me! I think I have to clarify my problem. I understand that I could create additional text frames, but I was really looking for a way to just have a paragraph within running text that created the columns. Obi-Wan, your look is what I try to create, but when I choose split columns, it's still a bit too far between columns:

columns.PNG

Edit: Just realized that it might have something to do with my document not being set up as having more than one column, right? Hence, I can't move any column guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't have a negative indent. So here I'm showing the column guides for a 2-column text frame with a 10pt gutter—the 2nd column can't be to the left of the gutter:

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 11.40.17 AM.png

It could be 3 columns:

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 11.40.56 AM.png

Or two columns with a large outside gutter:

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 11.47.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also use 3 columns with a column break before the final return (Obi's #8?), but that can create editing problems in the future because the invisible character is hard to spot:

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 12.07.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 12.11.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's still a bit too far between columns:

columns.PNG

Edit: Just realized that it might have something to do with my document not being set up as having more than one column, right? Hence, I can't move any column guides.

Also, in your capture it still looks like you are setting large left and right indents—you shouldn't set margins with indents:

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 12.16.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… Parfois, un petit "clic" vaut mieux qu'une grosse "claque" ! 

[french joke]

(^/)

[ Script not for free! ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to reduce the distance in splitted colums create a proper paragraph style with less inset for that purpose. Overlapping text frames as suggested above result in other problems upon export and more effort of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Overlapping text frames as suggested above result in other problems

I don't understand your comment.

Our suggestions are not using overlapping frames

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines