1 Reply Latest reply on May 2, 2017 8:45 AM by Szalam

Quadro P 4000

tegiiin

Hello,

I have used After Effects and Cinema 4D  for a long time. Finally I decide to change my graphic card. I made a research about it. And then I find  Quadro P 4000.  I have heard a lot of good thing about Quadro. But I dont find Quadro P 4000  on Adobe Requirement system List After Effects System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows . I ask to Nvidia about it. They said that  the list should not be updated. Do you recommend Quadro P 4000 as a professional graphic card for After Effects ?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Quadro P 4000
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The list you are looking at of "approved" cards is only in reference to the obsolete ray-traced renderer. That feature is not being developed any more and thus that list is not going to be updated ever.

Now, AE does have more and more things every release that use GPU acceleration, but the list is still not very long and a really powerful GPU doesn't make much of a difference in most tasks in After Effects.

Fractal Noise, Gaussian Blur, Fast Box Blur, Lumetri Color, Sharpen, Brightness and Contrast, Find Edges, Glow, Hue/Saturation, Invert, and Tint - those are the only effects in AE that use the GPU to render faster. Now, some third-party effects are either GPU-accelerated or render entirely on the GPU (Element 3d, Red Giant Universe, Magic Bullet Suite, BAO Boa, ShapeShifter, Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator, etc.)

NOTHING in Cinema 4D renders with the GPU. Now, there are third-party renderers for Cinema 4D such as Cycles 4D (which is great) and Octane (which is quite popular for hobbyists).

So, unless you make a lot of use of certain third-party things, you don't need a very powerful GPU at all.

Regardless, I do not recommend a Quadro card of any kind for After Effects or Cinema 4D. It is overpriced for what you get. Quadro cards are great cards, but they are designed for scientific and mathematical simulations over extended periods of time. They are not ideal for rendering. Look at the number of CUDA cores, amount of memory, teraflops, etc. compared to a 1080 card. For AE and C4D stuff, it would make a lot more sense to get a 1080 (or, in the case of Cycles 4D, Octane, or other third-party GPU renderers in C4D, SEVERAL 1080 cards).