• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with clear layers????????????

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea where I'm supposed to ask this and I keep getting the run around on this site.  I don't know how to easily phrase what I want to know so just bear with me.  I'm frustrated enough with this. 

Ages ago, I used to open a blank layer and use Inner Glow to make a gradient around said blank layer.  I'd set it to normal and shift it to black so that whatever image on the layer I put underneath would fade out to black.  Nice and even.  Now, you can't do anything with a blank layer.  You can't get a stroke or a gradient around the edge unless that layer is filled in.  How do I get that back?  Or recreate it?    I'm totally lost and totally frustrated with trying to find anything on the adobe site because I'm unsure of how to easily phrase that question.  I've gotten answers for a million other things, none of what I need at this moment.  Please help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Fill your layer with a colour.  Any colour you like, as it makes no difference.

Adjust the layer's Fill to zero, so the colour becomes transparent.

Your layer styles will now work.

You can see from the layers panel that Layer 1 is filled with red, but with Fill set to zero, the red is transparent.

The inner glow (green) is working nicely

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've posted in the Forum Comments forum. I'm going to ping a moderator and have them move your thread to (I guess) the Photoshop forum. Is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fill your layer with a colour.  Any colour you like, as it makes no difference.

Adjust the layer's Fill to zero, so the colour becomes transparent.

Your layer styles will now work.

You can see from the layers panel that Layer 1 is filled with red, but with Fill set to zero, the red is transparent.

The inner glow (green) is working nicely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand what you are trying to do, and assuming you want to do this in Photoshop, You can use an adaptation of the technique you are using. Create the blank layer but fill it with 50% gray (so it has some pixels to work with) then change the blend mode to overlay instead of Normal (so the 50% gray disappears) then go ahead and add your layer effect.

Hope that helps.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks so much! I didn't see this until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines