3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2017 5:14 PM by Roei Tzoref

why do some pngs/jpgs import wrong?

TheOriginal150mph Level 1

My project is mostly jpgs and pngs. All the pngs are the same kind of transparent background pngs exported from psd layers, but sometimes AE randomly imports them wrongly/differently and renames them for no apparent reason. And then I can't drag them into the timeline normally, they appear only as a fraction of a second and wont expand.

eg. i made 2 different cloud graphics clouds1.png and clouds2.png (below). AE brings in clouds2.png fine but refuses to cooperate with clouds1.png - which is identical file characteristics & dimensions except for a slightly differently shaped cloud. The pngs are not wrongly named psd's, there are no masks, no paths, no alpha channels - they're all rgb pngs.  In fact cloud1 was created in Photoshop from a dupe of perfectly fine cloud2.

AE renames cloud1.png as clouds[1-2].png with this different icon and most importantly - won't let me swap it in place of another graphic in AE.

This keeps happening randomly with both pngs and jpgs and is really frustrating. How to fix?

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 3.26.52 PM.png

clouds1.pngclouds2.png

• 1. Re: why do some pngs/jpgs import wrong?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

the problem is a kind of gotcha in Ae. when you name your files sequentially in a folder, Ae automatically thinks you want to import them as a sequence so it will add a check mark in the import dialog box to import it as a sequence. what you need to do is make sure when you import it, to have it turned off.

note: you can backtrack. just highlight the footage you imported as a sequence (you can see it has a sequence type of icon) and press Ctrl/Cmd + H to replace footage. in the dialog box pick the right one and check off "sequence layers" at the bottom right.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: why do some pngs/jpgs import wrong?
            TheOriginal150mph Level 1

Thanks Roei.

I didnt notice that checkbox before so re-imported without sequence & problem solved

The backtracking sounded great up until I press Command + H (Mac) - which is the keyboard shortcut for Hide AE.... so it just hides each time =0|

• 3. Re: why do some pngs/jpgs import wrong?
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

I didnt notice that checkbox before so re-imported without sequence & problem solved

it sneaks up on you I know. it's because the files are sequential

The backtracking sounded great up until I press Command + H (Mac) - which is the keyboard shortcut for Hide AE.... so it just hides each time =0|

you can also right click on the footage item and choose "replace footage"-> file.