Exit

AIR 26 Beta - captive runtimes

Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The announcement for the beta says this:

> Disabling Packaging of Shared Android Applications

> ... published applications will always have a captive copy of the runtime included in

> their installation package irrespective of the target selected (that is, apk or apk-captive-runtime).

This addresses published packages, but what about during debugging. Specifically, when I debug an Android AIR app via USB is the runtime always packaged? Never packaged?

Thanks,

Douglas

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

HI Douglas,

Yes while debugging Runtime is always packaged.

Thanks,

Ankit | Adobe AIR Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure it's always package. They've removed the ability to use an existing shared runtime, which would make testing impossible if the device has never used AIR, unless the runtime is packaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Douglas,

Yes while debugging Runtime is always packaged.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin wrote:

> Pretty sure it's always package.

Thanks Colin!

And Ankit wrote:

> Yes while debugging Runtime is always packaged.

Thanks for this definite answer.

One more question: For how long has this been the case? Since which version of AIR? Or, if that question would require a bit of digging to answer, all I really need to know is was this the case in AIR 24 and AIR 25? I assume that it was, but could you confirm?

(Just in case you're curious, the reason that I'm asking these questions is that I'm running into a problem with a line in my app XML file. When I try to debug via USB the line causes the build process to break, but when I build a release version it doesn't cause any problem. I had somehow gotten the impression that the debug build didn't use a captive runtime and was suspecting that the build problem was related to this. But it looks as though my assumptions were wrong and I need to rethink the problem...)

Douglas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Douglas,

Yes it is present in AIR SDK24 and 25 as well. In case you are running into some issue , please feel free to report it to us. We will investigate it.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this characteristic util if the Adobe team focus to reach the same performance than IOS.... In all apps, the performance in Android is very slow and IOS feel like native apps. Do you know if Adobe has plans to improve the way that compiles the APKS, creating some similar to IOS target?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't experienced that. Is it possible that you're trying apps on an x86 Android, and not an ARM based one? Adobe did add the ability to publish for x86, and that would help performance on those devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Colin, Normally I develop for Android ARM, is the base of most Android devices. You know that when an AIR app is exported to iOS, it is compiled to native code. The Android version is compiled to the AVM bytecodes and after the code is interpreted. For sure the performance is not the same and the difference is big in some cases. Example: when you have a ScrollList with Rich elements in it. Will be good to have the same performance in both devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines