• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign SDK Plug-in development on Mac OS X Sierra (10.12)

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been developing InDesign plug-ins for many years using XCode 5.0.2 as recommended, but had stopped upgrading at CC2014, leaving my Mac at OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5).  We have now decided to push forward with CC2015 and CC2017.  I understand that XCode 5.0.2 is still the recommended development platform, but I cannot get it to run on new Macs running either Sierra or El Capitan (10.11).

What is the current modern set of software to use with newer Macs? 

Has anyone discovered a solution to use either XCode 5.0.2 on OS X 10.11 or 10.12?

How about using XCode 8.3 to compile plug-ins?

If none of those ideas work, has anyone discovered a solution to use some other version of XCode which is compatible with OS X 10.11 or 10.12?

Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to run xcode on an unsupported OS is asking for trouble. Use Parallels to run the old OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On macOS 10.12 Sierra, I can build my plug-ins for InDesign CC 2017.x using XCode 8.x.

On OS X 10.11 El Capitan, I can build my plug-ins for InDesign CC 2015.x using Xcode 6.4, and for InDesign CC 2017.x using XCode 7.2.1.

On OS X 10.10 Yosemite, I can build my plug-ins for InDesign CC - CC 2015.x using Xcode 5.0.2, and for InDesign CC 2017.x using XCode 7.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Norio,

My plugin compiles on OS 10.11 with xcode 7.1. But when I switch to OS 10.12 with xcode 8.1 (on separate machine), I get a link error:

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/apple/SDKs/CS12.1SDK/build/mac/prj/build/x-changer.build/Default/Release_Cocoa64.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/x-changer.CC17.v1.1_lto.o'

Can you advise what is needed to compile/build on Xcode 8.1 ? It seems you have solved the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi RJ9191,

Yes I am using Xcode 8.2.1 on macOS Sierra to build plug-ins for InDesign CC 2017.

Copy MacOSX10.11.sdk from Xcode 7.x to Xcode 8.x.

It is placed at Xcode/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Xcode 5.0.2 and Xcode 8.2.1 on OS X 10.11.

Xcode 5.0.2 is used for InDesign CC 2014/5 plug-in building. Command line works well. To run Xcode 5.0.2 UI, use command

/Applications/Xcode5.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode </dev/null &>/dev/null &

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My advice is to install and use the version of XCode which the SDK was created for. It MIGHT be possible to adapt, but you are making needless problems for yourself. If this does not run in your OS, use Parallels to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines