11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 9:14 AM by Semaj Snitram

Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus

Xaos Level 1
      I need to create a Enhanced CD. You know....a CD, that when put into a computer pops up with menus and options to play music, videos, goto a website display a PDF etc......

I know Director does this, because the last Enhanced CD I saw had a lillte "d" in the upper left hand corner and also a message that said MADE WITH MACROMEDIA (now Adobe).

So my question is if I buy Director, will I need to know any code or Lingo? I know very little HTML, but thats about it. Was something like this created via a drag and drop process, or do I need to be a genius...or maybe a super genius?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Chaz
        • 1. Re: Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
          Wolfgang Herold Level 2
          sorry, but
          you ask like a complete beginner, write that you mybe want to
          buy D if someone can answer right, and have 55 posts !?!?!

just bored sometimes ?

• 2. Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
            Xaos Level 1
            I really don't understand your reply, but here it goes anyway....

I am a beginner. I have never used Director before, but am familiar with what it does and why people buy it. What does me deciding to buy Director have to do with my question?

And regarding the number of posts, you incompetent idiot, the number of posts that is listed is for ALL OF ADOBE. So when I ask a question in Photoshop or Dreamweaver, the number of posts increases. I'm sure that concept is difficult for you to understand. Maybe you should stick to looking at pictures on the internet, instead of trying to answer questions you obviously know nothing about.

Oh and by the way.....Merry Christmas!

Chaz
            • 3. Re: Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
              Level 7
              It's been a long time since I first used Director, I can't recall a
              project that didn't some amount of coding.

Your brief description doesn't include anything overly complicated, but
              will require an understanding of the fundamentals of Lingo. Director
              comes with some pre-built code widgits and there are 3rd party Xtras
              (some free, some that cost) which can make the job easier.

The best thing of all is the tremendous help that you will get on this
              forum. The only real question is do you have the time required to learn
              how to use the product?

Xaos wrote:
              > I need to create a Enhanced CD. You know....a CD, that when put into a computer
              > pops up with menus and options to play music, videos, goto a website display a
              > PDF etc......
              >
              > I know Director does this, because the last Enhanced CD I saw had a lillte "d"
              > in the upper left hand corner and also a message that said MADE WITH MACROMEDIA
              > (now Adobe).
              >
              > So my question is if I buy Director, will I need to know any code or Lingo? I
              > know very little HTML, but thats about it. Was something like this created via
              > a drag and drop process, or do I need to be a genius...or maybe a super genius?
              >
              > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
              >
              > Chaz
              >
              • 4. Re: Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
                Level 7
                > And regarding the number of posts

As a beginner asking for advice you might be better served by ignoring
                any apparent slights.
                • 5. Re: Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
                  Xaos Level 1
                  You are right.....sorry about that........!
                  • 6. Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
                    Xaos Level 1
                    <<<The only real question is do you have the time required to learn
                    how to use the product?>>>>

This is the real question. I think I will be better off with a program that specializes in Enhanced CD. They are hard to find, and I've seen what Director can do. I do appreciate your help. Thank You!

Chaz
                    • 7. Re: Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
                      Level 7
                      Especially I recommend you buying a specialized software for all taks so
                      you will never ever need to bother writting any code at all.

Just press a button - this is your level of complexicity...
                      • 8. Re: Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
                        Xaos Level 1
                        Can you recommend one? They don't seem to be readily available, but I will continue to google them.

Thanks!

Chaz
                        • 9. Re: Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
                          Semaj Snitram

In my honest opinion, i think that you can use Director perfectly for the purpose you want (creating an "enhanced cd") without "godly code".

Since Director's lingo is very similar to written english i don't think that you'll have problems, anyway if you get Director, as a complement to forum help, try Director's help (F1), every topic has, at least, one "code example". So if your cd uses a lot of videos and video controllers (buttons) try searching on the help with keywords.

For example:

set the movierate of sprite (1) = 1 // sprite(1).playrate = 1 (two different ways of playing the movie)

I hope that this helps you.

• 10. Re: Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
                            Chunick Level 3

Semaj Snitram wrote:

In my honest opinion, i think that you can use Director perfectly for the purpose you want (creating an "enhanced cd") without "godly code".

Since Director's lingo is very similar to written english i don't think that you'll have problems, anyway if you get Director, as a complement to forum help, try Director's help (F1), every topic has, at least, one "code example". So if your cd uses a lot of videos and video controllers (buttons) try searching on the help with keywords.

For example:

set the movierate of sprite (1) = 1 // sprite(1).playrate = 1 (two different ways of playing the movie)

I hope that this helps you.

Semaj,

In your willingness to help you might have overlooked the fact that this post was from December of 2008 - last year.

I've made the same mistake myself in the past.  :-)

• 11. Re: Do I really need to write ANY code to create menus
                              Semaj Snitram Level 1

>___< I really didn't noticed that.

Thank you, next time i'll pay more attention to that. =)