• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modifying Parameters on dozens of layers

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this is driving me crazy and I don't know whats going on or if adobe made a change. This should be simple and is a pain to describe so bear with me.

Say I have 50 solids... I select one then shift and or command click to select all the various layers desired. Now I apply a few layer styles - a stroke, an outer glow and an emboss for example. Since all the layers are selected the styles are all applied to every solid as expected.

Now say a week later there is a change - I now go back in and select all the necessary layers. I can then twirl down the arrow and get to the stroke sub parameters and edit the color on one and the effect is applied to all selected active layers as expected.

However, if I select all the layers then twirl down to see the layer styles and select stroke and delete the style itself it only deletes it on the one layer. It is not auto selecting the stroke parameter on all the active layers. I know I've done this a ton in the past. I know i didn't have to individually open each layer just to delete the stroke.

Here is a link to a short clip that shows what I expect to happen from an older version of AE and it's a pretty basic issue so I'm not sure what's wrong. In the clip you will see the guy selects a bunch of layers and changes a parameter. But most important you can see it highlights the same parameter in all active layers based on what he selected in just one layer. This behavior is not working for me - when I have many layers active and select and delete the stroke it only deletes one of them. The only way I can do it is one painful layer at a time and I know that's not right.

here is the clip of what i'm looking for... and to clarify yes i can change the stroke or color across all layers but I can get it to select so I can delete it the way they auto select here... GRRR 😞

parameter_changes - YouTube

I'm running AE 2017 on a mac...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017
I select one then shift and or command click to select all the various layers desired. Now I apply a few layer styles - a stroke, an outer glow and an emboss for example. Since all the layers are selected the styles are all applied to every solid as expected.

this is not necessary. it will get you there much faster if you just select one layer, make the changes you want, now select the paramter you want to effect all layers and copy paste it to all the layers.  twirling all the layers and propert

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I select one then shift and or command click to select all the various layers desired. Now I apply a few layer styles - a stroke, an outer glow and an emboss for example. Since all the layers are selected the styles are all applied to every solid as expected.

this is not necessary. it will get you there much faster if you just select one layer, make the changes you want, now select the paramter you want to effect all layers and copy paste it to all the layers.  twirling all the layers and properties can slowdown your U.I performance.

Now say a week later there is a change - I now go back in and select all the necessary layers. I can then twirl down the arrow and get to the stroke sub parameters and edit the color on one and the effect is applied to all selected active layers as expected.

just make the change to one layer, edit what you need and copy, select all the layers you want to affect and paste.

However, if I select all the layers then twirl down to see the layer styles and select stroke and delete the style itself it only deletes it on the one layer.

you can change parameters when selecting multiple layers but you can't delete them from all the layers using this method. if you want to delete the stroke from all the layers then you can use the search field to the left of the timeline panel and type "stroke". now you can marquee select all the strokes and delete them.

BTW, if all you want to do is change the color or any other parameter for the stroke you don't need to delete it from other layers. just select one layer, change what ever parameter you want and click copy (Ctrl+C), now select all the others layers and click paste (Ctrl V) and you're done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines