Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixing Pixilated Lines From Pencil Tool

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

I'm a somewhat new photoshop user and I've been messing around with some "digit painting".

I drew my shapes with the pencil tool and the line edges are really pixilated though! I figured out that the brush tool makes smooth (non pixilated) lines, but don't know if it's to late to fix my already drawn lines.

Is there an easy way that I could fix these pixilated lines. Maybe re-stroke them with the brush tool somehow? It would be nice not to have to redraw everything!!

Any helps is appreciated. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll start right off by saying that I pretty much never ever use the pencil tool.  A fully hard brush a few pixels wide, makes much nicer line work.  As to whether you can save you existing lines, that depends if they are on a separate layer.

This is a pencil line zoomed to 200% so we can see the pixelation.

Gaussian Blur (value 2.0)

And Levels to harden up the line again.

It's common practice for line work to be roughed out, often with pencil and paper.  Then scanned into Photoshop to Ink the line work.  If you do the whole process in Photoshop then you need to use multiple layers.

If you are using Windows and have a tablet, or are considering getting one, then there's a wonderful plugin called :Lazy Nezumi Pro that turns you into an amazing artist.  This video also demonstrates inking with LNP.

I'm pleased you are using Photoshop for drawing and illustration.  That is so much more enjoyable than tarting up a few photographs.  If you like books, get hold of Steve Caplin's 100% Photoshop.  You'll be amazed at what you can create entirely from scratch just using Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this method all the time. I sure wish there were a way to keep sharp corners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric  wrote

I use this method all the time. I sure wish there were a way to keep sharp corners.

This is something I kind of stumbled upon a few years ago, but I think I shared it here.

OK, the same layer copied a couple of times so we can try different methods.  I have saved the selection so I can repeat it.

Gaussian Blur value 10  (the black background is 600 pixels square)

Lens blur with the same selection in place

And after OKing it

It works on things like skies where you want to blur a banded gradient without making the edges go thin.  In fact it blurs the inside of a selection, but not its edges.

I don't know if that covers what you are talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you work in layers? Are the pencil tool lines isolated or combined with other art? Can you provide a sample image of what you are faced with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Thank you both for the response. I did work in layers so most of the lines are separated from eachother.

Here is an example of what I am working on right now...

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Im mostly concerend with the white details in each shape. They are pixalted. But separated into different layers as a group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still trying to figure this out if anyone has any input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you stuck?  What are you trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to clean up the pixelated edges of the lines I drew with the pencil. They are mostly all in different layers. Am I just going to have to redraw them all with the brush tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix the white object jaggies, if they are on their own layer, just use the steps I described back the thread.  If they are not on their own layer, you'll need to select them like this

Gaussian Blur (value 2)

If the white and blue is on the same layer, you'll need to be very careful when using levels.

Or you will see an obvious change in the blue like this

The white on black is much easier, because black is black.

This section is the most tricky because the whites extend to the edges, so you will need to make an accurate selection.  That means when you apply the blur, thew edges of the blue rectangle will go soft.  They will come back partially after using Levels, but you would need to carefully paint over the edges to get fully sharp edges.  Much easier to do it again on two layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the response. I didn't even realize you had explained that in your first mmessage. Most of the details are in seperate layers and I figured out how to use the blur filter.

I'm having some trouble hardening up the lines with the level adjustments though. They don't seem to be doing much besides changing the color. Could I be doing something incorrectly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

christopherc92001052  wrote

I'm having some trouble hardening up the lines with the level adjustments though. They don't seem to be doing much besides changing the color. Could I be doing something incorrectly?

If the white and backgrounds are on different layers, then apply the levels adjustment directly to the white layers.  If you use an adjustment layer, then you need to clip it to the white layer by clicking on the icon indicated below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having some trouble figure this out. I applied the level adjustment layer to the white layer but it didn't change anything no matter what I did. The only way I can get the lines to clean up with the levels is by merging the white with the blue/black that is behind it. But I'd like to keep them in seperate layers. Thanks again for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below we have a white circle on its own layer, above another layer filled with blue. The white circle is heavily pixelated — I achieved that by using Free Transform to up-res the circle with Interpolation set to Nearest Neighbour

With such heavy pixelation we need a high value blue to average it out.  In fact we would not use this methos in this case, but we are exaggerating for the sake of demonstration.

Now we come to the step that you say is causing you problems.  We have two options.  We can apply Levels directly to the layer, or we can add a Levels adjustment layer, but we would need to clip it to the white layer as shown in the last screen shot in post #10.  Whichever method we use, the properties for the levels adjustment will be the same.

Lets ignore the blue layer, and think about the blurred white layer.   I'm going to make that blue layer black, because it shows the soft edge of the white layer better.  Look at the histogram in the Levels Properties panel.  The left side shows full black, and the right fulll white.  The height of the histogram indicates the percentage of image pixels that fall at a particular tonal range.  Right in the middle, for instance, you would have 50% grey, and we can see a shallow floor of pixels that are neither black nor white right across the histogram.  We don't want that.

We need to have every pixel either full black or full white, with a tiny amount slightly off white and off black to provide what is antialias, which means blur, but a controlled amount of blur to fix the pixelation. 

If we move the sliders all the way to the left, we make all of the off-white pixels full white, so the circle is bigger.

And conversely, moving the sliders all the way to the left makes all the blurred pixels black so the circle is smaller.

So we bring the sliders almost to the centre to keep it the same size.  Note that we don't make the sliders hard up against each other or you'd still have pixelation.  Also not the nasty indentations, which is why we'd never use this method on so large an object with so pronounced a blur.

Is that covering it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I really appreciate it. It seems like I have everything set up correctly. I wish I had access to screenshots at the moment.

I just don't see the level adjustments making any difference in the line edges even when zoomed in very close. I don't see as much input in the histograph when the levels adjustment is linked with my layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

If Windows 8.1 or 10, then you have the Snipping Tool as standard

But I think most of us here use GreenShot

Greenshot - Screen Recorder download | SourceForge.net

It's an absolute godsend for anyone using forums or Reddit type sites. You can freeze the screen by hitting the Print Scrn key, and either copy to the clipboard, or send to the editor which allows you to annotate areas on the grab.

Adding to this forum is as simple as using Ctrl v (Cmd v) to paste it directly.  The only times we use the forum widget is for animated giffs or videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As to your problem with levels, do you have an active selection preventing you from affecting parts of the layer?

Is the layer locked?

Do you have the right layer selected?  (I'll hazard a guess that this might be your issue)

If still stuck, try and paste a screen shot of your workspace now you know how to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think any of those issues seem to be the case. I took some screenshots. Sorry I don't know how embed images.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

You can see in the first shot that I got the lines clean but I have the layer linked to the background.

In the second shot the lines are still blurry even the I have the levels adjusted and the third is with no level adjustment and it looks the same.

Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anymore help would be appreciated. I'm trying to finish up this peoject!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK I can see what the problem is now, and I am afraid I missed a step.  Because you have the levels layer clipped to the white details layer, you are only working on white pixels regardless of how bright they are.  You need to select the blue layer, and white details layer, and right click and chose Make a Smart Object  Then clip the levels layer to that, and it will work OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines