Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Align to Baseline Grid not working

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!

I'm using the "align to grid" > "all lines" setting in my paragraph style, but it's not working.

What am I missing? What can affect this?

Thanks for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

First of all, the reason to use a baseline grid is to align the baselines in a multi-column document. You are using a one column document—there's no need to worry about a baseline grid.

But to answer your questions:

In the "bad" file, you have the first paragraph set to 11/13. The baseline grid is set to 12. As per my first comment on this thread: Prefs > Grids > Increment Every should be equal to your body text leading. Your first paragraph leading (13) is larger than your grid (12), so when you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure there's not an override on the text? If you select all there's no + sign?

Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 1.24.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 1.25.01 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, sadly, that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julianne:

Aligning to the baseline grid is a three step process:

1. Prefs > Grids > Increment Every should be equal to your body text leading. 
    InDesign CCss_001.png
    InDesign CCss_002.png
  2. View > Grids and Guides > Show Baseline grid (we can see you have done that)
  3. Edit > Select All and click on Align to Baseline grid in the ¶ view of the Control Panel to snap it to the grid. (or if you are using styles, turn it on in Indents and Spacing.)
    InDesign CCss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanx! the last step worked for me c:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you have done everything correctly as BarbBinder​ explained above but still face the same problem, can you check what is your "Vertical Justification" settings in "Text frame options" set to? To check the same, do as below:

1. Select the frame that has the text not aligned to grid

2. Press Ctrl+b to open up the text frame options dialog

3.Check if the vertical justification has "Align To" set to "Justify" as shown below..in which case your lines wont snap to baseline grid even if you have the "align to grid" > "all lines" setting in your paragraph style

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't seem to be the issue. I attached my 2 files for review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, the reason to use a baseline grid is to align the baselines in a multi-column document. You are using a one column document—there's no need to worry about a baseline grid.

But to answer your questions:

In the "bad" file, you have the first paragraph set to 11/13. The baseline grid is set to 12. As per my first comment on this thread: Prefs > Grids > Increment Every should be equal to your body text leading. Your first paragraph leading (13) is larger than your grid (12), so when you align all lines it doesn't fit and jumps down to the next grid line.

InDesign CCss_010.png

Edit the type to 12 point leading and it snaps to the grid as expected.

InDesign CCss_011.png

The bullet text in the bad file is working because it is 10/9. 9 is smaller than 12, so the text spacing is expanding to 12 to snap to the grid. You might think it is 10/9, but it is actually 10/12.

In the "good" file the grid is set to 13. The bullet text is 10/9 (but really 10/13 because it is snapping to the grid). The first para text is 11/10 (but really 11/13 because it is snapping the grid). You might think you are using 10/9 and 11/10 but both are upping the leading to 13.

When you snap text to the baseline grid, the text automatically moves down the the next line. If you use a smaller amount of leading, it increases to snap to the grid. If you use a larger amount of leading, and the line can't fit, it moves down and snaps to the next grid line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing a long book, I just shortened it as a sample to share.

What I don't understand is that it was NOT jumping down to the next gridline; it was just slightly off. No matter what my leading is set to, the text should be sitting on ONE of the baselines, correct? Not just floating between baselines. Everything I've been reading was saying that the "align to grid" was overriding the leading settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about this area—outlined in orange—specifically? On those paragraphs, the Align to Grid is set to First Lines only. And that is exactly what is happening.

InDesign CCss_012.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything I've been reading was saying that the "align to grid" was overriding the leading settings.

And yes, that is correct. That is exactly what I was explaining above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't understand is that it was NOT jumping down to the next gridline; it was just slightly off.

The screen capture in #5 has an article from InDesign Secrets on baseline grids and the usage of First Line only

Re: Adding spacing after a paragraph?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the OP ticked an option to align to a (different) text frame grid? So it was aligning to a grid different than the document grid? (I haven't seen the files so it is just a guess).

UPDATE: a yes, I see it was set to first line only instead of all lines!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are two files, where one is on baseline, and the other isn't.

What's different?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyq9insgawx9jm5/bad.indd?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nvzxqdo4rpobxz/good.indd?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here are the three options:

1.) First line only on the grid:

InDesign CCss_013.png

2.) All lines on the grid. (Remember the grid is 12 and the leading is 13 so it hops down a line.)

InDesign CCss_014.png

3.) Not on the grid.

InDesign CCss_015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines