8 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2017 3:19 AM by Idefix!

HOw to change an Adobe default folder location

Idefix!

I am using Adobe Lightroom 6 for the Mac, standalone edition.

Adobe Lightroom creates a folder named "Adobe" in my Document folder.

It contains another folder called "dynamiclinkmediaserver".

I don't want Adobe to use my Document folder as a dumping ground,

but I couldn't find any way to relocate this folder.

If I delete it Adobe Lightroom simply recreates it in the same location.

Does anyone has any suggestions as how to move this folder somewhere else?

Thank you for your help!

-Franco

• 1. Re: HOw to change an Adobe default folder location
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I have that folder in my "My Documents" folder which I moved from the original location on the C drive to my D drive partition of my SSD. In that folder there are 2 subfolders, 7.0 and 10.0, which contain no files or other subfolders.

LR and Adobe places them in the Documents folder for a reason. That Documents folder is tied to the user that is logged into the computer.

I suggest you stop worrying about it. It is just a folder that doesn't take up any real hard drive space.

• 2. Re: HOw to change an Adobe default folder location
            Bob Somrak Level 5

This happens on my Mac too.  Adobe could place this in the "user" Library folders instead of  the Documents folder if it needs to be user specific.  I consider this SLOPPY programming but as Just Shoot Me said it is not worth worrying about.

• 3. Re: HOw to change an Adobe default folder location

Each user on both Windows and OS X has their own Documents folder. You can see that if you view the Mac HD then go to Users.

In Finder it is displayed just as Documents in the Finder sidebar but it is a separate folder under each user name.

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 1.09.15 PM.png

• 4. Re: HOw to change an Adobe default folder location
                Bob Somrak Level 5

Your screen shot shows that each "USER" in Windows also has a LIBRARY folder.  This is like on a Mac.  The user LIBRARY is where stuff like this is supposed to go.  Apple programming guidelines even specify a program should not put stuff like this in the Documents Folder.

• 5. Re: HOw to change an Adobe default folder location

That is a screen shot of OS X Finder that I have running in a Virtual Machine. Notice the OS X Mac Dock on the left hand side.

See the blue highlighted Macintosh HD in the Finder Sidebar.

• 6. Re: HOw to change an Adobe default folder location
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

I see that now  I knew you were not an Apple user so didn't look at the screenshot very clearly.  Does Windows have a Library or equivalent system storage area for each users account?

• 7. Re: HOw to change an Adobe default folder location

No it doesn't but Windows uses a few other folders for basically the same thing as the OS X Library folder in the user name folder.

The OP was asking specifically about the Adobe folder and the subfolder DynamicLinkMediaServer folder in the Users Documents folder. Seems LR uses the same location on both OS X and Windows.

On my Windows system that Adobe folder also holds "Adobe Media Encoder" subfolder (I do have Premier installed) and another named amecommand.

These are all just folders that don't take up any disk space. There is nothing, no Files, is any of them at the present.

• 8. Re: HOw to change an Adobe default folder location
                        Idefix! Level 1

Just to clarify my issue:

I know that that folder doesn't cause any issues - well, it hans't so far. The question is rather, WHY I should accept that Adobe places its own folders in MY Document folder. Apple has explicitly created the personal Library folder for precisely that purpose.

Imagine for a second that I am parking my dirty pickup truck in your living room and then I'll tell you: "You know, I have plenty of parking space of my own, but your living room is sooo large, I just kind of like it, I am sure it won't bother you if I leave it there, will it? And just in case you feel like removing it, I'll lock it, ok?"

It's simply arrogant and reckless on the part of Adobe to do that. Microsoft used to do that with the Office Suite, but even MS has stopped doing it a LONG time ago...