Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

add underline PLUS colored highlight for character

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to replicate the appearance of a Word file in my InD layout

and need to add a black underline as well as a colored highlight behind various letters and words within long paragraphs. So, using paragraph styles/paragraph dialogue box won't work, since it isn't for the entire paragraph.

Any ideas for how to do this for characters (not paragraphs)?  I wonder why they didn't add "RULES" to the character options too.

I am about to resort to using a yellow stroke (ack!)...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Both Strikethrough and Underline are character attributes. Underline is placed behind the text and strikethough on top of the text. What you need to do is use the underline attribute and make it the height of the type and use the offset value to move to up and behind the text (you'll need to experiment). Then use the strikethrough attibute and make is narrow and use the offset value to move it below the text so it looks like an underline. Example below:

InDesign CC338.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Strikethrough and Underline are character attributes. Underline is placed behind the text and strikethough on top of the text. What you need to do is use the underline attribute and make it the height of the type and use the offset value to move to up and behind the text (you'll need to experiment). Then use the strikethrough attibute and make is narrow and use the offset value to move it below the text so it looks like an underline. Example below:

InDesign CC338.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! As someone who strives to ban underlines, I can never seem to remember that the option panel exists...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Less relevant when you can't use strikethrough (in Red) because you need it! 

Capture d’écran 2017-05-01 à 20.32.35.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the settings for Steve's example

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 12.41.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 12.41.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines