Thanks for reaching out to us through adobe forums.
The occurrence of duplicates in your catalog may be due to presence of these files in multiple folders which you imported into Organizer.
To get rid of this, you can try any of the following two solutions:
1. Go to Find menu> By Visual Searches> Duplicate photos.
Let it analyze the pictures. It will then show you groups of duplicates in a dialog. You can select the unwanted ones and click on Remove from catalog at lower left corner of this catalog. (reference links: Elements Organizer Help | Search options to find media , Finding media files by content, type, and metadata in Elements Organizer )
2. For the duplicate files, right click on one such file and select Go to Folder. This would open the folder's location in left Folders panel. Do this for both the duplicates of a same file to see if they are residing in same folder or different folders. In case they are in different folders, you can click on one of these folders, see that all it's images are duplicate and right click on the folder to select Remove folder. This would remove this folder's media from Organizer. (refer to page 17 of https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf for information on using folders panel)
Please let me know in case you have any queries.
When I loaded all my trip folders from Windows 10 some loaded twice, and some loaded up to 6+ of the same picture.
A MESS. Why?? How to get rid of all the duplicate folders? And duplicate pictures?.
We are talking about thousands of photos.
Also photos all out of order!
I sure do miss Picasa - which worked!!!!!
Only you can find out why you get duplicates. How do you 'download' or 'save' files on your computer? Chances are that you already have duplicates in your folders before even using the organizer. Can you describe what you did with Picasa before 'you loaded all your trip folders' from Windows 10, and how you did that?
What you should know about the downloader used by the Organizer:
- you can 'import' either from 'camera or card reader', which means copying the files from the removable media to your drive, then indexing the properties of the files in a catalog - or you can 'import' from files and folders, no copying, only indexing.
- In this process, the organizer forbids the indexing of what it considers duplicates: files with the same date_taken and file size in kB.
- 'All out of order' = the order is your choice from file properties: file name or dates. It's also from 'import batches' or 'custom order' in albums. It's just like the order you choose in your Explorer or Finder.