• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help - XML Scripting for InDesign

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm currently manually creating manuals in InDesign CC by placing files in the correct order. These files can be InDesign, Illustrator, PDF, CAD drawings, Excel files etc. I really want to automate this process with XML. I've started by adding tags to the files & then exporting to XML. I've never used XML before & have searched through numerous websites but struggling to find the absolute basics on where to start writing the script to open a new document, place a text & image frame & then associate the files to the frames. Please can anybody help me get started? #XML

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could your reprecise the context because it's not cristal clear to me. Basically You want to automatically lay out external files inside an indesign document, am I right ?

If so, you could probably get this without any line of scripting with a bit of xml layout preparation inside indesign. However if you want to go scripting, you may as well achieve this without any xml at all (or using it conveniently).

tell us more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Loic,

Yes, I'm creating many InDesign files which I want to pull together depending on which pump range & pump model it is.

I've just found reference to XMedia UI plug in file but can't seem to locate it.

It mentions a Cross Media Publishing Resource CD but I don't have that as I have access to InDesign through CC via enterprise from our organisation.

Have you any ideas?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XML import should work without any additional plugin. Once that said the learning curve may be tough. If you can afford it, I would recommend a plugin such as EasyCatalog because it's easy, efficient and smooth.

If you still want to go on the xml road, you may want to read the Bible of InDesign XML import:

Amazon.fr - A Designer's Guide to Adobe InDesign and XML: Harness the Power of XML to Automate your ...

It will learn you all you need to know as it did for me

Loic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help Loic. I will look at both options. I'm determined to master the XML side of it if I can 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines