• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I open a jpeg in photoshop without it changing the dimensions

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to extract an jpeg image from a word format document, edit it in photoshop and then place it back into the word format document which is templated for A4.

The original size of the image is 53.45 cm x 53.45 cm but it has been scaled by 24% to fit inside the word format document.

The scaled size is 12.84 x 12.84 cm and after I've extracted it and edited it, I need to make sure I place it back at this scaled size of 12.84 x 12.84 cm.

You just wouldn't believe how long I've been trying to crack this, I'm desperate for help.

I open the word format document with Pages. Then File/Advanced/Change File Type/Package/Save

Open/Show Package Contents

In the Data folder, I select the jpeg and open it in my CS4

Here's where I get stuck.

Nothing corresponds, size wise. I assume it is extracting it at the original size? But it's not even reading square in the PS boxes. I don't know how to set the dimensions or document size to get it to match. Furthermore I've tried jumping this problem and editing the jpeg which involves necessary rotating but when I rotate it back, I get extra canvas size added on making it even more confusing. How can something so simple be so difficult. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me, thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

In CS4 do you have the "rotate view tool"?

In my version it's located under the "hand" tool and

looks like this: Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 2.22.14 PM.png

You can rotate the canvas instead of the image so you won't have the issues with the added canvas and can work at a comfortable angle. When you're done with the rotated canvas, just make sure you have that tool activated then press the escape button. It sounds like you may be using the crop tool to resize and rotate the document, and that you're working directly with a "background" lay

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathykatkathleen,

Have you tried changing the size of the image in Photoshop by going to Imae > Image size?

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Sahil

I've managed to crack the first bit. It was the document size I needed to change. I changed the document size to 24% and it matches.

But I'm going to edit the image first before I change the document size I think.

I still can't crack the rotating thing, so I'm now trying to avoid rotating the image and just work on the edits on an awkward angle instead.  I don't know how to get back to the original size after rotating it. When I rotate it, it adds on canvas and then when I rotate it back it adds on even more canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To rotate an image you need to go to Edit > Free transform, then you will see a transform box appear around your image, you will be able to rotate the image by dragging it from any of the four corners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS4 do you have the "rotate view tool"?

In my version it's located under the "hand" tool and

looks like this: Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 2.22.14 PM.png

You can rotate the canvas instead of the image so you won't have the issues with the added canvas and can work at a comfortable angle. When you're done with the rotated canvas, just make sure you have that tool activated then press the escape button. It sounds like you may be using the crop tool to resize and rotate the document, and that you're working directly with a "background" layer. If you want to resize or rotate the image using the crop tool, right click on the "background" layer in your layer panel and choose "create layer from background" or you can double click on the locked background layer then click OK for the dialog box that comes up. That way when you crop, you don't have added color to your edges. Otherwise photoshop's default is to add the "background color" to compensate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is really helpful and I thank you very much.

Who knew that tool was hiding underneath there can't tell you how pleased I was to see that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines