4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2017 10:29 AM by peterl14472975

Posterize Time with Jpeg

peterl14472975

Hi peeps!

There is an effect I've been working on that is the biggest head scratcher (for me at least).

Essentially I'm trying to create scrabble pieces to animate in, to form words in After Effects. I created the Scrabble piece in photoshop and then saved it as a png and imported it into After Effects. I added the "Posterized Time" effect onto it and brought the fps down to 8fps to mimic stop motion. Typically if I were to add this effect on a text layer and added 'position' key frames and animated it, it would look laggy like stop motion. But when I add this effect to my scrabble layer, nothing happens. I'm wondering if I'm missing something completely obvious or if it's just not possible to add that effect to a jpg. Any ideas?

I've added a reference video to explain what I mean.

• 1. Re: Posterize Time with Jpeg
          A.I.1 Level 3

If you want it to emulate 8 fps stop motion (though surely most stop motion would have been higher than that), couldn't you set the composition to 8 fps and have motion blur turned off? The 8 fps comp could be included in another (higher fps) comp (eg. 24/30 fps etc.) if it needs to output in a higher rate (or of other elements need to be a higher rate).

• 2. Re: Posterize Time with Jpeg
            peterl14472975 Level 1

You see, I knew it was something super obvious I was just having a brain cramp. Thank you that worked perfectly! I also realized you could add an adjustment layer on top of everything with the "posterized time" effect applied to it.

• 3. Re: Posterize Time with Jpeg
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
              The 8 fps comp could be included in another (higher fps) comp (eg. 24/30 fps etc.) if it needs to output in a higher rate (or of other elements need to be a higher rate).

you can, and probably should (mp4 has a frame rate limitation of 10 fps at least in AME) just make sure you set the "preserve frame rate when nested" checkbox in the composition settings for the precomp, or else Ae will conform the frame rate to whatever is the master comp.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Posterize Time with Jpeg
                peterl14472975 Level 1

Ah, I haven't thought about exporting. Thank you, I will definitely keep this in mind.