Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clear variables in exported datasets

Explorer ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all - variables are AMAZING!

Now, i'm working on a project using variables, but i need to strip the exported files of all variables. In other words, there should be no defined variables in the exported files. (i'm using it with Adobe Character Animator to create iterations of a puppet, and Ch seems to have a problem if there are any variables defined.)

Also, is there any way to export files from datasets into separate directories?  There are a lot of options for the naming structure, but no slashes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thing you should also ask in the Character Animator forum. Also only layered documents file can have variables.  If you do not want variables why did you define them in the first place. The whole purpose of the CVS data file is the set variable way would you want just the row of variable names that you defines in your Photoshop template document.

Guess I just do not understand what you are asking.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I defined the variables in my original template.  When I export files based on datasets, each of the resulting psd files retain the variables defined in the original template.  I can't think of any other instances where this would cause problems, but who knows.

I did share the issue with the Ch team, but I'd still like to see if there's anything I can do on the Ps side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then save the populated template flattened or a flat file type like jpeg.  What problem does having variable in PSD file cause you.  The PSD files after all is your template document with your text and images. They could even be useful.  Should your template psd file become corrupted think of all the backup files you have. What is the issue? What is the problem.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good questions.

I'm actually need the .psd files to remain as layered .psd files.  This is actually pretty common for me when I import dynamically generated artwork into premiere or after effects, it's helpful to have unflattened files to work with.

In this case, I'm trying to use the exported .psd files as puppets in Character Animator.  For whatever reason, Ch gives me an error if i try to import a .psd with defined variables.  This is a bug in Ch, and I've already reported it over there.  But i'm hoping I can find a workaround on the photoshop side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I populate a different type of template with Photoshop scripts and I take advantage of the fact that the populates template saves as a psd retain the template information.   For I can modify populated template with other scripts to change font size and imaged that have been populated.

It would seem to be a bug in Character Animator what is it doing why  is it accessing variables in the PSD in the first place. Is there a CSV file being used also?  What would it need to use variables where would the substute data come from . 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines