5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2008 3:46 PM by Ned Murphy

Nested Movie Clips

Damo1954
      hi,

I recently downloaded a flash template that was built on AS2 and have been trying to figure out how it works for a couple of weeks now (excuse my ignorance when it comes to AS). I have a question about nested Movie Clips. The way the template is constructed invovles a massive amount of nested movie clips and a large number of instances of each movie clip. The way i understand it is that if an instance of a movie clip is put on the stage and given an instance name, any modifications to that movie clip should be unique to that instance. However when i modify the colour of any of the movie clips i select, it changes the colour of all other instances.

Am i missing something obvious here??

Thanks in advance for your help

Kind Regards
      Damien
        • 1. Nested Movie Clips
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          If you edit an item in the Flash editor, then anything that uses that item is also edited. If you modified it via AS code while the file is running, then only the item targeted would be affected.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Nested Movie Clips
            Damo1954 Level 1
            Thanks for your help Ned. That has put my mind on the right track now and explains why i am having sooo much difficulty changing the colour of basic shapes that have been converted to movie clips.

Damien
            • 3. Re: Nested Movie Clips
              It is possible to use AS to change colors of things dynamically, though I'd be pushing my luck to try to help you there. It's something I have minimal experience with.
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Nested Movie Clips
                Damo1954 Level 1
                Yea. This particular template i am working with appears to change and manipulate colours dynamically as you said. Also it doesn't have all of the content (txt and images) within the actual flash document. They are all loaded dynamically through a txt document and external files (jpgs amoungst others) which makes it alot harder to edit since i dont fully understand the xml format they have in the txt document. As well as this, the template has no, and i mean NO documentation what so ever which makes it much more difficult to work through. But i guess i will keep pluggin away at it :)

Thanks again for your help Ned

Damien
                • 5. Re: Nested Movie Clips
                  You're welcome.