• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop cap quotation marks with negative indent?

New Here ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a single paragraph style that will give me a large quotation mark with a negative indent on the first paragraph only.  See below.  

I was able to create this image below through implementing two paragraph styles.  The first paragraph style is for the first paragraph.  It sets a negative indent for the first line and has a Grep style looking for opening quote marks and applies a character style to the quote mark.  The second paragraph style is for all following paragraphs and does not have a negative indent for the first line. Is there a way to accomplish this with a single paragraph style?

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 2.56.06 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Is there a way to accomplish this with a single paragraph style?

Are you asking if you can format both paragraphs with one style? I would suggest sticking with two, because they look different. If you are dead set on using one, you could put remove the ¶ between the two paragraphs and replace with line breaks between (Shift+Return) to make them function as a single paragraph, but I don't recommend it.

If the reason you are asking is efficiency, you can assign both styles with one command. Here's h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the frame and select Type menu > Story

Click the checkbox and set the distance to your type size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to accomplish this with a single paragraph style?

Are you asking if you can format both paragraphs with one style? I would suggest sticking with two, because they look different. If you are dead set on using one, you could put remove the ¶ between the two paragraphs and replace with line breaks between (Shift+Return) to make them function as a single paragraph, but I don't recommend it.

If the reason you are asking is efficiency, you can assign both styles with one command. Here's how:

1. Let's say you name the first style Body with Quote and the second style Body No Quote
  2. In the Body with Quote, set up the Next Style to Body No Quote.

InDesign CCss_001.png

If you type in a Body with Quote and press Return at the end, the Body No Quote will be assigned automatically.

If the text is already typed in, just select both paragraphs and right click Body with Quote in the Paragraph Styles panel. Select Apply "Body with Quote" then Next Style and InDesign will apply both at the same time.

InDesign CCss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everyone;

It is possible to do with a single paragraph style.
one-paragraph.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines