2 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2017 8:23 AM by Laubender

Indesign Ink limit issue - without colour profile to set

desnatural Level 1

Hello everybody.
      I´ve already read some other post about this topic but still I haven´t found the solution for this specific case. I have to deal with an 96 page booklet (A5) LOTS of pictures made by an other graphic designer. The printer company haven´t provided to me any colour profile setting even if I asked for it.

They have just said that the Ink limit should be not more than 320%. When I checked on Indesign indeed the majority of the pictures were out of that limit.
      Now: is there a quick way to set this limit to this indesign document maintaining the final profile as it was (FOGRA39) ? Other solutions? Unfortunately I´m not an expert about print process. Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Indesign Ink limit issue - without colour profile to set
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Now: is there a quick way to set this limit to this indesign document maintaining the final profile as it was (FOGRA39) ? Other solutions? Unfortunately I´m not an expert about print process. Thanks in advance

The ink limit is enforced when you make the conversion to CMYK, so if you place RGB images and make the conversion to CMYK on export, the ink limit can be enforced by the chosen destination CMYK profile. If the images have already been converted to CMYK the assigned profile will have no affect on the ink limit. You could to do a CMYK-to-CMYK conversion, but that's always problematic.

Fogra 39 has a 330% limit, so you can't use it to limit the total ink to 320%. If you really want to use Fogra, I would check with the printer and see how strict they are about the total ink. If you have RGB files you could also look at GRACol 2013 (not 2006), which has a limit of 320 and has a similar appearance and gray balance to Fogra39

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Indesign Ink limit issue - without colour profile to set
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

if you really are in the FOGRA 39 realm you could do your separations with an ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc profile. That would limit it to 300%. And the base characterization of ISOcoated_v2_300_eci is also done within FOGRA 39.

But first talk to the printers when doing so.

You can download the profile from here:

Downloads [ECI.ORG]

Regards,
            Uwe

1 person found this helpful