1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 2, 2008 5:40 AM by Newsgroup_User RSS

Can't get lasso tool to select something

capella07
      Hello all.

I'm going through the Flash CS3 Pro Classroom in a Book lessons, so in the waaaaay outside chance someone else reading this post has the book as well, I'm referring to lesson 2, on page 56.

Following the instructions, I'm supposed to draw a circle with the lasso tool around the top of a glass of water so the water (a bitmap image of water inside a glass shape) isn't a straight line.

But when I draw a circle around the top of the glass and release the mouse button, the circle just disappears. The history shows a lasso symbol with a red "x" by it. Is this an indication that I did something wrong?

I'm not sure if I'm providing enough information, but can someone maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong or missing?

Thanks for anyone's help!
        • 1. Re: Can't get lasso tool to select something
          Community Member
          capella07,

> Following the instructions, I'm supposed to draw a circle
          > with the lasso tool around the top of a glass of water so
          > the water (a bitmap image of water inside a glass shape)
          > isn't a straight line.

I haven't read that particular Classroom in a Book, but you mentioned
          the fact that your image is a bitmap, which is a useful clue. The Lasso can
          select anything as a whole, but it can only make partial selections on vetor
          artwork, so you'll have to convert your bitmap to a filled rectangle (or
          whatever shape the image is; perhaps a square).

To do this, select your image and select Modify > Break Apart. If your
          image happens to be grouped somehow, or nested inside a symbol (movie clip,
          for example), you may have to break it apart more than once. Once it's
          broken down, you'll see a sort of mesh over the image, which indicates it is
          now a vector shape with a bitmap fill. (The mesh just indicates that the
          shape is selected. If you click elsewhere, the image will look clear
          again.) At this point, you can use the Lasso tool to make your curved
          selection.

Note: it might be part of the exercise to keep the image inside a
          symbol. If that's so, then the Break Apart feature will have removed the
          image from its symbol (even though you'll still see an unharmed copy in the
          Library). As an alternative to what I suggested, you can double-click on
          the image until you enter all the possible groupings and symbols it might be
          nested inside. The Propery inspector will tell you, every time, what you're
          selecting. When you see that you've finally reached your bitmap, perform
          the Break Apart then.

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

>
          > But when I draw a circle around the top of the glass and release the mouse
          > button, the circle just disappears. The history shows a lasso symbol with
          > a red
          > "x" by it. Is this an indication that I did something wrong?
          >
          > I'm not sure if I'm providing enough information, but can someone maybe
          > tell
          > me what I'm doing wrong or missing?
          >
          > Thanks for anyone's help!
          >