8 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2017 1:24 PM by rob day

Created txt frame in master/Can't select it or type in it on page that master's applied to

KenIsaacson

I'm confused. I created a document (and did NOT check "primary text frame" in the setup). I then created a master page, in which I created a text frame.

I applied the master to the first page of the document. However, when I go to that first page, I cannot select the text frame, and I cannot type in it.

Of course, if I go to the master page itself, I can select and type.

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding things. I don't want a master text frame on all pages, because on some pages, the text will not take up the  entire page. I want to flow type into the frame I created, and I want the ability to change the size of the frame (and have the text "redistribute" within the re-sized frame).

In one of my first trials, I ticked the "primary text frame" during setup, and I found that even when I though I was typing (or pasting) into a frame I created myself, it looked like it was actually going into the "primary text frame," so when I re-sized my own frame, the text wasn't affected as I wanted it. Because, it appeared to me, that the text wasn't in my frame, it was in the primary frame.

So.... how do I create a text frame in the master, then be able to type in it in the page to which the master's applied, and then be able to re-size that frame in the master, and have the change reflected in the page?

Thanks!

Ken

• 1. Re: Created txt frame in master/Can't select it or type in it on page that master's applied to
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That’s not how it works. Master text frames can have text placed into them. If you want to type into them, you’ll need to override the master.

If you’re going to do that you might just as well create it on the live page.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Created txt frame in master/Can't select it or type in it on page that master's applied to
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To add content to a master page item on a page you have to release it—Command-Shift Click on the frame. When you release a master page item it becomes a page item that is linked to the corresponding master page item.

Keep in mind if you alter the position or dimensions of the overridden frame it will no longer respond to a position change from the master, that includes swapping left and right facing pages

A primary text frame is a master page item that is automatically overridden on the pages. Primary frames have an icon with an arrow when they are selected. Master page items on pages have a dotted outline and when they are overridden the outline is solid:

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 11.03.46 AM.png

See this thread on primary frames:

Re: Can someone help demystify how primary text frames actually work?

• 3. Re: Created txt frame in master/Can't select it or type in it on page that master's applied to
              KenIsaacson Level 1

I’m have a difficult time accomplishing something that I thought would be relatively easy in InDesign. I hope you can help.

Hmmm. I wonder if I'm expecting too much. I'll try to explain my ultimate goal, and hopefully you can tell me if it's possible. I have a lengthy MS Word document—a novel manuscript. About 370 pages, divided into about 50 chapters. I want to create a single ID document. In it, I want to do the following (most of which I’ve figured out how to do, but with one frustrating exception):

·         Create a master page A to be applied to the first page of each chapter that starts on an odd page (i.e., the right side of a spread).

o   This master page will have a text frame midway down the page, with the word “Chapter,” followed by a section marker indicating the chapter number.

o   Below the chapter heading, I need a text frame where the text of the chapter will begin.

·         Create a master page B to be applied to the first page of each chapter that starts on an even page (i.e., the left side of a spread). This master will have the frames as described above.

·         Create a master page C to be applied to the rest of the text of ever chapter. Text frame to be the same size as the page itself.

·         I want to copy my whole manuscript and paste it into my ID document.

o   I’d like to then apply Master A to the first page of a right-side chapter.

o   Apply Master B to the first page of a left-side chapter.

o   Apply Master C to all other pages.

When I apply Master A or Master B to the beginning of a chapter, I want the text on the page to “jump” down to the middle of the page, where the frame I created starts. But although the word “Chapter” shows up in the middle of the page when the master is applied the text still begins at the top of the page.

NOTE: I can create the masters, and I can create the chapter/section markers. I’m struggling only with the text frames I want on the first page of each chapter.

Isn’t there a way to accomplish this through masters, instead of finding the first page of each chapter and manually moving things around? (I’d also like the ability, if necessary, to tweak the size of the first-chapter-page frame, if I need to move the starting point of the chapter higher or lower on the page.)

Am I expecting too much from ID?

Many thanks!

Ken

• 4. Re: Created txt frame in master/Can't select it or type in it on page that master's applied to
                Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

Use Primary text frames at start up OR convert your text frames on the master pages you've created yourself to Primary text frames. Look at the help files if you need to understand the difference between normal and primary text frames on Master Pages.

• 5. Re: Created txt frame in master/Can't select it or type in it on page that master's applied to
                  jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Primary frames can have more than one master. But you have to play around with it and read up on it to understand how it works. Also, keep each chapter in one threaded story and break things up by applying paragraph spacing and break to your styles.

Tip: personally I like to use A for my Body pages, but only because it's the default and that's what I have the most of, and remember that you can change the prefix. The Left master can be L or Left and the Right master can be R or Rite (4 letters max).

Updating pages efficiently with primary text frames : InDesign Secrets

43 Exploring the Primary Text Frame - YouTube (lynda.com)

Primary text frame and Smart Text Reflow

• 6. Re: Created txt frame in master/Can't select it or type in it on page that master's applied to
                    cmgap Adobe Community Professional

When I apply Master A or Master B to the beginning of a chapter, I want the text on the page to “jump” down to the middle of the page, where the frame I created starts. But although the word “Chapter” shows up in the middle of the page when the master is applied the text still begins at the top of the page.

Have you tried using Paragraph Styles with Space Before to make the text 'jump' down to the middle of the page?

• 7. Re: Created txt frame in master/Can't select it or type in it on page that master's applied to
                      jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Typically Space Before is suppressed at the top of a page or column.

• 8. Re: Created txt frame in master/Can't select it or type in it on page that master's applied to
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As cmgap suggests, I don't think you need the extra stand alone text frame for the chapter title.

You could simplify with two masters that use primary text frames:

The doc setup:

DocSetup.png

The primary text frames are automatically overridden and threaded:

Threads.png

Make a copy of the A-master and change the height of both the left and right pages—they also need to be primary text frames:

Chapopen.png

Paste the text into the first page's primary text frame:

Text Flow.png

With your insertion point set in front of Chapter 2, add a frame break (Type>Insert Break Character). That forces the chapter head to the next page:

Frame Break.png

Apply the B-master to the right page:

ApplyMaster.png

Now you can re-position the chapter start frame via the B master page and the chapter head's style via its Paragraph Style:

Alter Master.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 9.56.18 AM.png