• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop hangs when opening a video

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, has anybody faced this issue of not being able to open a mp4 video in photoshop? It seems to be progressing all the way right up to the end where it says reading video format and shows the progress wheel, but nothing happens.

I have been able to read mp4s as soon as 2 days ago, no issues, but suddenly today this happens.

I can open the video file using media player, and there's no issue either.

Where is the first place I should look/ or first thing I could do to try to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Yes, that was the next step I was going to try - uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop.

It works now.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the file play OK in Media Player or VLC?

Have you tried opening one of the older MP4 files that you know used to load OK? 

If that doesn't work either, reset Preferences.

If the old file loads then run the problem file through Handbrake.  No need to convert.  Just go from MP4 to MP4.

https://handbrake.fr/

BTW  Video professionals all over the world use Handbrake.  It's a little bit of magic that reduces file size with no discernible impact on quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it plays fine in Media Player.

I just tried following and all don't work:

-      opening the older mp4 file

-      reset preferences

-      run file through handbrake

Thanks for trying anyway, but any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kopikia  wrote

Yes, it plays fine in Media Player.

I just tried following and all don't work:

-      opening the older mp4 file

And did it load OK? 

You realise that the steps I gave you were conditional?  If an MP4 file that previously loaded and played in the timeline now doesn't, then you know Photoshop is broken.  There's no point in running the newer file through Handbrake, because you have just discovered that Photoshop is broken.  Right?

Resetting Preferences was worth a try, but if that made no difference, then time to get serious, and reinstall Photoshop.  That will reload all the video CODECs again, and if the file plays OK in Media Player, I would expect it to then load and play in Photoshop.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that was the next step I was going to try - uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop.

It works now.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines