4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 3:04 AM by Sarthak Singhal

CS3 Performance

redivider
      Lately I've noticed that FWCS3 is hanging/locking up for a few seconds (sometimes longer) when I'm doing simple things like selecting objects, moving/nudging with the arrow keys, selecting multiple layers...

I have a 3GHz dual-core processor, 3GB of RAM and a 256MB Radeon X1650 so I can't imagine it's a hardware issue. This machine was just built earlier this year and both the RAM and video card are only a few months old.

The hard drive has 11GB of free space (out of 75GB)... could that be an issue?
        • 1. Re: CS3 Performance
          pixlor Level 4
          quote:

Originally posted by: redivider
          Lately I've noticed that FWCS3 is hanging/locking up for a few seconds (sometimes longer) when I'm doing simple things like selecting objects, moving/nudging with the arrow keys, selecting multiple layers...

I have a 3GHz dual-core processor, 3GB of RAM and a 256MB Radeon X1650 so I can't imagine it's a hardware issue. This machine was just built earlier this year and both the RAM and video card are only a few months old.

The hard drive has 11GB of free space (out of 75GB)... could that be an issue?

You're under 15% free space, even though 11G is pretty respectable. On the other hand 75Gb is not all that large as a drive; you might consider adding a second one.

Also, how's your drive's file fragmentation? I know that high fragmentation can slow down an application, especially when the files are large. I don't know about the Mac OSes, but XP and Vista (and 2k) have a defragmenting application in the accessories. If you don't have it set to run automatically on a regular basis, you should probably give that a try.

If you're on XP, run the Disk Cleanup Utility first, clear your browser cashe(s), then run the Disk Defragmenter. (Links at The Elder Geek.)

• 2. Re: CS3 Performance
            redivider Level 1
            OK, so I freed up a bunch more space and installed Diskeeper to defrag my hard drive. It apparently wasn't very fragmented to begin with but I'm sure it didn't hurt. I now have 33GB of unfragmented free space.

An important detail that I forgot to mention is that all of the files I work with are on a server on our LAN that is mapped as a network drive (V:). I hadn't really thought about that, but we're not on a Gigabit ethernet, so could the 100mbit LAN be the issue? I would have thought the only thing that would slow down might be opening/saving files. Once it's open and in memory I don't see why that should matter. I have 4GB of RAM (for some reason WinXP only sees 3 though) so having a 10-12MB png file open shouldn't be an issue.

It's really starting to be a problem. Everything else seems to run fine, but FW still locks up for a few seconds pretty regularly.
            • 3. Re: CS3 Performance
              pixlor Level 4
              Er...you didn't need to install Diskkeeper, as XP has the basic version built in. But, anyway, it's good to stay on top of the fragmentation.

Have you tried - as an experiment - copying the file to your local hard drive and working with it there? If that makes a difference, then that would point to the network as a culprit. If no, that it isn't the network.

How big and complex are the files?

• 4. Re: CS3 Performance
                Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee
                10-12 MB of fireworks png file. It seems like you have a lot of objects within it. Can you share some part of the png file where the operations are locking up the application?

Thanks