• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When opening in Photoshop Desktop layers are no longer smart objects

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I transfer my Adobe Draw Project by "Open in"  Photoshop CC on the Desktop the layers are no longer being sent as smart objects.  This makes resizing a nightmare!!! All the quality is lost.  Is there a setting or will this be fixed??  It takes way longer to open it in Illustrator and copy and paste every single layer.  Makes the program no longer useful for my purposes.  Is there a simple fix or work around?  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Renee.

Yes. Thank you. It's really helpful.

I've passed all of your comments along to the Draw team and I'm going to discuss this with the product manager again today. Hopefully I'll gain some further insights then.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Renee,

My apologies for taking so very long to respond; your post didn't show up in my feed.

I am a bit confused by type of transfer you're referring to because Draw files have never been sent as smart objects. I know I must be misunderstanding some part of what you're saying, so if you could give me a bit more detail it would be helpful.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know if the explanation below makes sense...thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Renee.

This isn't making a lot of sense to me; not because of how you've explained things but rather because I don't remember this being possible in prior version of the app.

But, an engineer from the drawing team is going to take a look at it too. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from him.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this possibly have been a photoshop change?  I have been using this feature for the past six months of projects.  Is there a way that this can be made possible again?  Is there a work around?  The only one I have found is to copy and paste each layer from illustrator to photoshop and converting it to a smart object.  However this is not very productive and very time consuming. By doing it this way the entire artwork has to be pieced back together again and lining everything up is extremely difficult. Is there a way to convert and entire project or multiple layers in illustrator to photoshop smart objects while maintaining the structure of the artwork?  I have numerous projects I can show you that this was happening.  It also saved it this way when I used the "send to..." "Creative cloud files as PSD"....but now, it just rasterizes all the layers when sent that way as well.  I do my work in photoshop and learning illustrator in depth isn''t really practical and won't work for my purposes.  Thanks for your help.  i would be more than happy to help in anyway possible to have this work again!  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renee.

I have two other people looking into this and neither of them have come up with anything. Yet.

Since they're starting to think it may be tied to a Ps update, do you have a general idea of the date it stopped working for you?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last time I had a successful upload was April 10.  Since then I have updated Photoshop twice.  Once 41 days ago (Also illustrator was updated on this day)  and once 18 days ago.  I really noticed the problem when uploading Aprils projects from my tablet to the computer on May 6.  I also have a 2nd computer that has Photoshop 2015.5 that I have not yet updated and it was working in April as well but now it doesn't work either.  This makes me think that it might not be a Photoshop update issue.  To me it seems like something changed in the way it is sent from Draw to Photoshop? Also how it is sending the info to be saved as creative cloud files.  Possibly some sort of Export issue? Maybe with the addition of the Link feature?  Sending to creative cloud files was working end of march beginning of april and now that doesn't work as well on either version of photoshop. I don't know how to find out when I updated the app.  Hopefully this info helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renee.

Yes. Thank you. It's really helpful.

I've passed all of your comments along to the Draw team and I'm going to discuss this with the product manager again today. Hopefully I'll gain some further insights then.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any more information been found out about this issue? Or are there any solutions in the works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renee.

I've been checking in with the product teams about this but still haven't heard anything. I've asked again this morning.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renee.

I finally got an answer for you that I think will clear things up:

Apparently, for a short period in Draw 4.0, we were using a different mechanism to send drawings to Photoshop CC. (It wasn't actually sending the work as vectorized smart objects but something more along the lines of rasterized smart objects.) Unfortunately that mechanism created other problems when sending the work, so it was removed from the app when version 4.1 was released.

The bad news is that I don't know whether the team will revert back to this old mechanism for sending work. I can say this much though: Your post, about the troubles you've encountered, have started a conversation with the product team about switching back to that earlier mechanism that worked so well for you (so it changing back is not completely out of the question).

I know that doesn't make the current workflow any simpler but I at least hope it helps explain what happened.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am glad to hear that they know where it was coming from.   Please add a way for this to feature to be brought back.  Maybe an additional button to send it that way?  I never had any issues sending my artwork under the old mechanism.  Basically just having the ability to resize a  project in photoshop without losing the quality was amazing and a much needed feature.   I would think this would be possible by either incorporating the way it was done before or giving an illustrator project the ability to be opened up in photoshop with the layers in tact and organizedt the way the project is as smart objects.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you want to open an Adobe Draw Project on the desktop you have two choices.  You can either send it to Adobe Illustrator or you can open it in Adobe Photoshop.  It will then send the projects directly to my computer in whichever program I choose.  I would complete a project on adobe draw on the go and then upload into photoshop when I was  at my computer.  Before the latest updates when it would open up in photoshop all of the layers from the project were smart objects and I could scale them up and doown without losing the quality.  Now, in the latest updates when I open it up in photoshop the layers are already rasterized.  I can only scale down.  The only work arounds I have now are to open it illustrator and copy and paste each individual layer into photoshop which creates a scalable smart object but I lose all the positioning of my artwork or, I have to create a large file in draw and I can only scale down but if I do that I can never change my mind and scale it up.  It is extremely tedious and I lose the entire purpose of getting the ipad pro with adobe draw for my work flow.  This was a feature in the previous versions can we bring it back or bring back the option or is there another way to export my adobe draw project to my desktop program without quality loss in photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1367 (1).JPG

The First One Is a file that is how it used to send before the updates and the second image is how the same project is sent now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines