Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to link text files in Indesign

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to translate the text I have in an Indesign file, but since I've seen it's quite tricky to export the text in Indesign into an Excel or Word and then, import this translated text back into de indesign file, I saw there is the possibility to link text files into Indesign, so if the text changes in the word or excel file, it also changes in the Indesign file.

Also, we have many text boxes in a single page. Is it necessary to have a different document for each text box, or can the text from a file be linked by pragraphs to different indesign text boxes?

Thank you very much for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at WordFlow: WordsFlow » Em Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would need something for free. I was checking different software available, but everythins is very expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About "also": InDesign Secrets: How to place and link text—without its formatting

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eva_d  wrote

… Also, we have many text boxes in a single page. Is it necessary to have a different document for each text box, or can the text from a file be linked by pragraphs to different indesign text boxes? …

Hi Eva,

since you are talking about translations there is also the option to use a translation memory system — not Excel or Word — that could import IDML files exported from InDesign and export IDML after translation.

Derek mentioned WordsFlow by EM System:

Even when working with WordsFlow you'll need one file per story.
And every single text frame is exactly one single story if the text frame is not threaded to another one.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are software solutions that allow you to export the text and import the translated text back in the document keeping the styles intact. Also, like Uwe said, translation memories are an important tool for saving your past translations so you can reuse the same terminology across the document.

Have a look at Redokun (https://redokun.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, I was just thinking that there should be an option to vinculate an excel file to an indesign document, and be able to link each text box to an Excel cell (let's say, writing the letter and number of the cell and the sheet), and be able to update this data and even the links (so I can link a text box to another cell) whenever I wanted. I've seen software that help in this, but I'm shocked there isn't a free way to do it in an easy way. Is there really no way I can enable this link by myself?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you make money with software you should pay for it. Why do you expect to have everything for free?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you're describing here, if I read correctly, is reading text from an excel file and dropping it into a text box in inDesign.  You can do that from within the application with "Data Merge" and formatting your excel file into a csv.  The InDesign file won't update the data automatically, though, you have to "reload the CSV file".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit > Preferences > File Handling and check "Create links when placing text files". You can now drag and drop your text files on your page in InDesign, and they will be linked. Create your text boxes and link them together (Thread text among frames in Adobe InDesign). Drop you text file on the first box and... you're done. Go to Window and check "Links" to display the Links panel where you can update the links as necessary.

I understand that InCopy can provide two-way sync, but I don't know how to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works, except when a change is made to the txt file, the formatting/styling you made to the text is lost — any way to update without losing the styling, i.e. Font, font side, bolding, tabs, etc ?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See post 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After toiling around, I realized that keeping an indd in a central location, and simply exporting a pdf to bring into the area that was causing massive labour to update across multiple docs, in this case the slug area specifically, and then further placing it on a base master page, to be used with other sub master pages — will significantly reduce a plethora of headaches.

Thanks all for providing some key leads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines