• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to see whether a selection is active?

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My question is, how can I find out with AppleScript whether I have a selection active or not?

I'll give a quick overview of my use case, so you know what I need it for:
I'm digitally painting with a Wacom tablet with four buttons and a modifier on the pen. Given that four buttons aren't enough, I'm using KeyboardMaestro to double-map them. I've mapped them to F1-F4, and they are doing different things whether I press the button on the pen (which I have mapped to Option) or not.

I haven't found a way to send a key command ignoring a pressed modifier, so I have to queue up actions and then fire them all at once when the modifier is released. Since I'm basically doing while (modifierDown) sleep 250 in the script, the queue isn't exactly sophisticated, so that occasionally leads to several filters and a deselect being in there and stuff being mixed up. While the solution isn't optimal, it's the best I've come up with.

My idea would be to not make the filter command trigger via keyboard maestro if there's no selection active in photoshop... or maybe some of you has an idea how to fix the other thing?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Awesome, so my solution is this:

AppleScript (inline):

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CC 2015" to set result to do javascript "function isSelectActive(){ var res = 0; var activeLayer = activeDocument.activeLayer; var as = activeDocument.activeHistoryState;  activeDocument.selection.deselect(); if (as != activeDocument.activeHistoryState) { res = 1; activeDocument.activeHistoryState = as; }  activeDocument.activeLayer = activeLayer; return res; } isSelectActive()"

AppleScript:

tell application "Ad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen many javascripts here for has selection perhaps there are some for applescript

https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?sort=updatedDesc&place=%2Fplaces%2F1383833&q=hasselection

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there's no way to do it with AppleScript, I have to use JavaScript?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you look at the Search I posted? Applescript I believe can also use some javascripting.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did. Tried to throw some of these into the AppleScript editor, and it gave me syntax errors, so I figured it was JavaScript. For example, it wouldn't let me define functions.

Edit: Oh, I just saw that you edited your answer, it's clearer now. Before it contained just the link, so I figured that you considered that exhaustive and wondered what it was that I wasn't seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A function someone wrote it should be in the script code that your looking at

function hasSelection(doc) {

if (doc == undefined) doc = activeDocument;

var res = false;

var activeLayer = activeDocument.activeLayer; // remember active layer

var as = doc.activeHistoryState; // get current history state #

doc.selection.deselect();

if (as != doc.activeHistoryState) { // did the deselect get recorded

res = true;

doc.activeHistoryState = as; // backup and reselect

}

activeDocument.activeLayer = activeLayer; // insure active layer didn't change

return res; // return true or false

}

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried exactly that function. Until a minute ago, I didn't know that do javascript "theJavaScript" was a thing. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome, so my solution is this:

AppleScript (inline):

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CC 2015" to set result to do javascript "function isSelectActive(){ var res = 0; var activeLayer = activeDocument.activeLayer; var as = activeDocument.activeHistoryState;  activeDocument.selection.deselect(); if (as != activeDocument.activeHistoryState) { res = 1; activeDocument.activeHistoryState = as; }  activeDocument.activeLayer = activeLayer; return res; } isSelectActive()"

AppleScript:

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CC 2015"

set result to do javascript (file "/Users/me/hasSelect.jsx")

if result contains "true" then

set r1 to 1

else

set r1 to 0

end if

end tell

(I'm returning 0 or 1 because it's easier to see in KeyboardMaestro.)

JavaScript:

function hasSelection(doc) {

if (doc == undefined) doc = activeDocument;

var res = false;

var activeLayer = activeDocument.activeLayer; // remember active layer

var as = doc.activeHistoryState; // get current history state #

doc.selection.deselect();

if (as != doc.activeHistoryState) { // did the deselect get recorded

res = true;

doc.activeHistoryState = as; // backup and reselect

}

activeDocument.activeLayer = activeLayer; // insure active layer didn't change

return res; // return true or false

}

hasSelection();

Couldn't have done with without @JJMack!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines