This content has been marked as final. Show 4 replies
It looks the same in my FF3 as it does in my IE7, which tells me that it is working in IE.
The problem is likely with the activeX control on the PC. IE and FF use two different types of controls to display Flash content. FF uses the industry standard plugin model, which is also used by every browser other than IE. IE on the other hand, uses bulky outdated activeX controls (a technology that Microsoft built I believe) Because of this, if the activeX control goes corrupt, IE will start not displaying flash content correctly, even though every other browser does.
To fix the problem (and yes, the IE6 grey box is a standup symptom of a broken activeX control) you need to delete the following folder: C:/Windows/Downoladed Program Files. This folder contains all of the activeX controllers that IE uses. By deleting the folder, you force IE to re-download all of those controllers the next time it runs, which typically fixes the problem you face.
It's probably due to the OCX not registering and the ActiveX control not running. (this is what is in the Downloaded Program Files folder) I have had issues with this ever since Flash 9 player came out.
It will work for some, then quit. Others it doesn't work at first, then suddenly starts working. For many it never works. Others it works just fine. In my company, where I work support, it works fine for about 50% of the users, internittently for about 30% and not a t all for about 20%. I have been unable to find a fix for this so far. Adobe needs to fix their installer. This whole "web only" install, and not having a downloadable exe to use to install is total lazyness.
I suggest you uninstall Flash 9 player and go find an installer for Flash player 8.
What do you mean "web only install"? I download an installer exe almost every time I install a new version of the flash player. I sometimes use the web-install method out of convenience, but you have always been able to download an exe to install the player.
Well, so far I haven't been able to solve the problem. The only "solution" is to force the user to have the newest version of the flash 9 plugin. I used swfobject's express install functionality to require 9.0.124 ( which seems to work, but I don't know if it's the "newest" from adobe ).
With the new plugin, the flash works correctly. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable delivering this to the client when it requires an upgrade of flash. I was hoping for baseline flash 9.0 as a requirement only.