4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2008 6:30 AM by TomorrowPlusX

Trouble with IE6 & 7

TomorrowPlusX
      I've built a simple Flash 9/AS3 app, a timeline of Abe Lincon's life for Ford's Theatre in Washington DC. Aside from some placeholder images and copy, the app works correctly. Note: I developed it in the Flash 9 IDE ( Creative Suite 3 ) on Mac OSX.

Anyway, it works wonderfully in Firefox and Safari for OS X, and it works in Firefox for Windows XP. But for the life of me, I can't make it work in IE6 or IE7 for Windows XP. And since I'm not a windows-based dev, I'm not good at IE debugging, thus I have no idea why it doesn't work in IE.

When it fails in IE6, I get just a gray rectangle in the color of the stage background. When it fails in IE7, I get the initial "frame" ( if you can call it that these days in AS3 apps ) which is a movie clip of two red curtains, closed. Normally, once the app bootstraps, it should download an XML file which describes the basic data the app needs, and it should present an intro panel, and a button to get started. If you load this in Firefox ( or are on a Mac ) you'll see what I'm describing.

Here's a link to the app in question:

Ford's Theatre Timeline

Note: I'm using a pretty recent version of SWFObject for the embed; I've been using SWFObject for a while now, and have never seen it have problems with IE.

Note #2: I have a fairly recent version of the flash plugin installed -- 9.0.124.0 -- the people having trouble have an older version. BUT: They can see it using Firefox. So it strikes me as an IE thing, not a flash thing.

Finally, this is my first post to these forums. I've been using flash since the late 90's... but this is my first time here. Please let me know if there's any convention to these forums that I may be missing out on.

Thanks,
        • 1. Re: Trouble with IE6 & 7
          RossRitchey Level 4
          It looks the same in my FF3 as it does in my IE7, which tells me that it is working in IE.

The problem is likely with the activeX control on the PC. IE and FF use two different types of controls to display Flash content. FF uses the industry standard plugin model, which is also used by every browser other than IE. IE on the other hand, uses bulky outdated activeX controls (a technology that Microsoft built I believe) Because of this, if the activeX control goes corrupt, IE will start not displaying flash content correctly, even though every other browser does.

To fix the problem (and yes, the IE6 grey box is a standup symptom of a broken activeX control) you need to delete the following folder: C:/Windows/Downoladed Program Files. This folder contains all of the activeX controllers that IE uses. By deleting the folder, you force IE to re-download all of those controllers the next time it runs, which typically fixes the problem you face.
          • 2. Re: Trouble with IE6 & 7
            dgingeri
            It's probably due to the OCX not registering and the ActiveX control not running. (this is what is in the Downloaded Program Files folder) I have had issues with this ever since Flash 9 player came out.

It will work for some, then quit. Others it doesn't work at first, then suddenly starts working. For many it never works. Others it works just fine. In my company, where I work support, it works fine for about 50% of the users, internittently for about 30% and not a t all for about 20%. I have been unable to find a fix for this so far. Adobe needs to fix their installer. This whole "web only" install, and not having a downloadable exe to use to install is total lazyness.

I suggest you uninstall Flash 9 player and go find an installer for Flash player 8.
            • 3. Re: Trouble with IE6 & 7
              RossRitchey Level 4
              What do you mean "web only install"? I download an installer exe almost every time I install a new version of the flash player. I sometimes use the web-install method out of convenience, but you have always been able to download an exe to install the player.
              • 4. Re: Trouble with IE6 & 7
                TomorrowPlusX Level 1
                Well, so far I haven't been able to solve the problem. The only "solution" is to force the user to have the newest version of the flash 9 plugin. I used swfobject's express install functionality to require 9.0.124 ( which seems to work, but I don't know if it's the "newest" from adobe ).

With the new plugin, the flash works correctly. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable delivering this to the client when it requires an upgrade of flash. I was hoping for baseline flash 9.0 as a requirement only.