2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2008 1:44 AM by Keith in Eire

Load movie .swf

Keith in Eire
      Have just recently upgraded to Flash version included with CS3. Been using an old version 5 up until now with no probs for my very basic knowledge, (I know! Should have upgraded years ago!) I have created a movie clip as a .swf file and the actions work fine on the test. However, when I import it into an instance in my parent movie, it loads okay but doesn't seem to recognise any of the actions, not even a basic 'stop', just keeps on looping. Never had the problem before with the old version so can only imagine I am missing something basic!

Please put me out of my misery!
        • 1. Re: Load movie .swf
          Level 7
          Keith in Eire wrote:
          > Have just recently upgraded to Flash version included with CS3. Been using an
          > old version 5 up until now with no probs for my very basic knowledge, (I know!
          > Should have upgraded years ago!) I have created a movie clip as a .swf file and
          > the actions work fine on the test. However, when I import it into an instance
          > in my parent movie, it loads okay but doesn't seem to recognise any of the
          > actions, not even a basic 'stop', just keeps on looping. Never had the problem
          > before with the old version so can only imagine I am missing something basic!
          >
          > Please put me out of my misery!
          >

There are very significant difference in the Action Script 1, 2 and 3. You could get
          away with many things in AS 1.0 which won't be acceptable in AS 2 and so on...
          The easiest fix, go to File - Publish Setting, change the Action Script export setting
          under the Flash tab. If you set to AS 1.0 it should work.
          Other, less easy :) is to redo the file and rewrite the actions from scratch after doing
          some study in Help files on all the changes in Action Script.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Load movie .swf
            Keith in Eire Level 1
            Hi Urami,

thanks for that, will try the quick fix for now until I get my head around the changes. I'm not a programmer, just a designer trying to enjoy the great stuff you can simply achieve in flash. Left the upgrades too long and now I have a mountain to climb and can't even find the basic stuff I'm looking for in AS3.

Even though I don't understand the jargon, variables, arrays, booleans and all that stuff, I have an old AS Reference Guide to hand and I generally just cut and paste script that I had worked out in previous jobs. I probably do everything the long winded way, but always got something to work though, which is testimony to how idiot proof Flash5 was. Might be getting out of my depth now. Any advice for some easy reading?

Many thanks,

K