• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Original file missing " not missing, gone when hard drive failed

New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 300 pictures (phew it could have been soo much worse) which I imported into Lightroom to edit, then my hard drive failed and has now been replaced. All pictures, file etc where backed up apart from these 300 already in Lightroom. How can I get them out as the "original files are not found" no they aren't they are gone ?.

So I cant edit them, cant export them.

Surely once imported this includes all the metadata ?

Im hoping Im being stupid, hoping somebody can shed some light.

Thanks, Ali

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

If your originals are gone for good and you don't have a backup, there's only this solution: Script to extract previews of lost or deleted photos

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your originals are gone for good and you don't have a backup, there's only this solution: Script to extract previews of lost or deleted photos

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Thank you soo much thats cracked it. I really want to trust lightroom again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you are missing what LR is. It is a Database program that only References the images you import into the LR catalog.

No images are ever in the LR catalog. The are only referenced into the catalog file, a Database file, from where they are stored on your hard drives. If the hard drive you store your images on fails and you don't have any backups of those images then they are lost just like all other data on the failed drive.

This has nothing to do with trusting LR. The first thing you should do is make a backup of the actual image files to some other drive other than what you use as your main storage location. Whether that is to another drive connected to your system, internal or external, or to some type on online, Cloud, storage location is up to you.

When LR backs up its catalog file it is only that catalog, a database file, that is being Backed Up. Not any of your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines