4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2008 10:02 AM by Davis_College

Tweens as Graphic Symbols in Flash CS3

Davis_College
      Greetings,

I am teaching a basic Flash CS3 course at a college in Ohio. I am having something weird happening with some of my students' projects that I can't explain.

For five of my students every time they apply a simple motion tween to a graphic symbol, Flash CS3 automatically saves the tween as a new graphic symbol in the library panel (naming it "tween 1", "tween 2", etc.).

Since they are just learning the program this has understandably confused these five students on how tweening and the library panel works. Other students are doing exact or similar tweens and they are not having this problem. I have worked with Flash for years and have never had this happen to me.

Would anyone know how I can correct this? Is this something that I can change in the preferences?

Thanks for your help!
        • 1. Re: Tweens as Graphic Symbols in Flash CS3
          Level 7
          Davis College wrote:
          > Greetings,
          >
          > I am teaching a basic Flash CS3 course at a college in Ohio. I am having
          > something weird happening with some of my students' projects that I can't
          > explain.
          >
          > For five of my students every time they apply a simple motion tween to a
          > graphic symbol, Flash CS3 automatically saves the tween as a new graphic symbol
          > in the library panel (naming it "tween 1", "tween 2", etc.).

The symbol wasn't properly made into an instance. They try to motion tween a raw shape.
          Flash can't motion tween shapes, it can only shape tween them, so it takes the liberty
          to convert that shape into a graphic symbol to make the tween possible. Hence the tween 1
          and 2 and so on in the library.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Tweens as Graphic Symbols in Flash CS3
            Davis_College Level 1
            Thank you, Urami.

I just tried to tween a raw shape on my vesion of CS3 and I am not able to get the software to convert my attempt to motion tween the raw shape into a tween graphic symbol. I just get the dashed lines on my keyframes that i have the tween applied.

Why am I not able to get it to do it on my computer?

Thanks again!
            • 3. Re: Tweens as Graphic Symbols in Flash CS3
              Level 7
              Davis College wrote:
              > Thank you, Urami.
              >
              > I just tried to tween a raw shape on my vesion of CS3 and I am not able to
              > get the software to convert my attempt to motion tween the raw shape into a
              > tween graphic symbol. I just get the dashed lines on my keyframes that i have
              > the tween applied.
              >
              > Why am I not able to get it to do it on my computer?
              >
              > Thanks again!
              >

Hmm, it works for me all the time :)

This is what I do.
              I open new document and library in the same time CTRL L, and immediately draw shape using
              the rectangle tool. Then I select frame 30 (sample only) and insert new frame using the F6 key.
              I right click the first frame and create motion tween. The very moment I do this, I get two
              new instances appearing in the library.

--
              Best Regards

Urami

--
              "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
              If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
              </urami>
              • 4. Re: Tweens as Graphic Symbols in Flash CS3
                Davis_College Level 1
                Thanks, again. I will see if I can get it to do it!