3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 9:57 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom organizing

ashleyj56073739 Level 1

So I had some issues with an external hard drive and lightroom. Basically I use the external hard drives to store all of my pictures that I use through lightroom (the catalogue backups are on my internal hard drive on my mac book pro). Since the first hard drive I had crashed, I moved all of what was recovered onto another external hard drive ( I backed that one up this time), but then I made a mistake and tried to reimport all of the folders into lightroom from the new hard drive and got rid of all of the grey folders in lightroom from the old hard drive that no longer had anything on it as well as removed the old hard drive from lightroom since it was "corrupt". I know now that that was a big mistake since lightroom wont import the folders with the pictures from the new hard drive because its saying those pictures are already in lightroom but they are just missing. My question now is how do I fix this? I just need this to work as simple as possible I just want the folders with the pictures from the new hard drive to show up in Lightroom and allow me to work on these pictures without the question marks and greyed out folders. Whats the easiest set of steps to get my catalogue up and running properly again?

Thank you thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

• 1. Re: Lightroom organizing
          dj_paige Level 9

In essense, you tell Lightroom that the folders that were on the crashed hard drive are now on the new hard drive.

The instructions for fixing missing files and folders are here, complete with screen captures:

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Important note (although you seem to have now realized this, I emphasize this for others who may be reading)

THERE IS NO IMPORTING IN THIS PROCESS

As a side issue, storing catalog backups on the internal hard drive is not a good idea if the working catalog is also on this drive. Backups must be on a different physical drive.

• 2. Re: Lightroom organizing
            ashleyj56073739 Level 1

So even though I deleted the old hard drive and folders out of lightroom I can still use those steps with the folders and photos on the new hard drive to get those into lightroom? I just want to make sure because I have made so many mistakes with this so far. Would it be easier to just start over and to get the hard drive into lightroom the exact way that it looks on the hard drive? How would I do that?

The catalogues are all on my internal hard drive but the photos and folders themselves are on the external hard drive. Do I need to move the catalogue backups onto the external hard drive as well?

• 3. Re: Lightroom organizing
              dj_paige Level 9

So even though I deleted the old hard drive and folders out of lightroom I can still use those steps with the folders and photos on the new hard drive to get those into lightroom?

YES

Would it be easier to just start over and to get the hard drive into lightroom the exact way that it looks on the hard drive?

NO! This is a waste of time, plus you will most likely lose your edits and user-created metadata. And I will keep repeating this: THERE IS NO IMPORTING IN THIS PROCESS. Do not think of any process that includes IMPORTING or SYNCHRONIZING folders. DO NOT!!!!

The catalogues are all on my internal hard drive but the photos and folders themselves are on the external hard drive. Do I need to move the catalogue backups onto the external hard drive as well?

YES!