1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 2, 2008 1:55 PM by Newsgroup_User

What does a virtual tour cost to develop?

strayhand Level 1
      I work for a small university in the States. We're trying to evaluate whether or not we're going to try to develop a virtual tour in-house or sub it out. So I'm looking for some basic ballpark estimates of what a virtual tour project would cost.

Here’s what we’re looking for in a virtual tour:

1. Chapter based organization - The tour will be divided into six chapters with maybe four scenes within each chapter.

2. Relies heavily on video - The scenes themselves will be short 15-30 second video clips.

3. Template driven - Obviously the project will be delivered in Flash, but we’d also like it to be template driven, perhaps XML so that we can update the contents without having to touch the actual flash.

I admire sites like the Vodafone Journey Web site for its use of video, and while we’ll probably not be able to reach this level of quality this Web site best demonstrates where we’d like to go:

http://www.vodafone.com/flash/journey/main_navigation.swf

So back to my original question. What’s a ballpark estimate of what a virtual tour cost to develop?

If we do decide to sub it out we'll most likely write a formal RFP that will likely include one of two options.

RFP Options

1. Flash work only.
      The university will do all of the art direction, content development. We will essentially hand off all of the content and storyboards for the flash developer to create.

2. Everything
      The vendor will handle the art direction, content creation and flash development. We will provide artwork and content as needed but the vendor will be the driving force behind the project.

If you were considering a project like this, which of the two options would you prefer and what would you like to see outlined in a potential RFP?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: What does a virtual tour cost to develop?
          Level 7

"strayhand" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gc399g$1mi$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I work for a small university in the States. We're trying to evaluate
          >whether
          > or not we're going to try to develop a virtual tour in-house or sub it
          > out. So
          > I'm looking for some basic ballpark estimates of what a virtual tour
          > project
          > would cost.
          >
          > Here?s what we?re looking for in a virtual tour:
          >
          > 1. Chapter based organization - The tour will be divided into six chapters
          > with maybe four scenes within each chapter.

This is easy (for a relatively experienced developer) using XML or a
          database.

> 2. Relies heavily on video - The scenes themselves will be short 15-30
          > second
          > video clips.

Are you thinkng SWF or FLV?

> 3. Template driven - Obviously the project will be delivered in Flash, but
          > we?d also like it to be template driven, perhaps XML so that we can update
          > the
          > contents without having to touch the actual flash.

I would think that would be cheaper and easier to build and have better
          performance, since you wouldn't have to load everything before it would
          start.

> I admire sites like the Vodafone Journey Web site for its use of video,
          > and
          > while we?ll probably not be able to reach this level of quality this Web
          > site
          > best demonstrates where we?d like to go:
          >
          > http://www.vodafone.com/flash/journey/main_navigation.swf
          >
          > So back to my original question. What?s a ballpark estimate of what a
          > virtual
          > tour cost to develop?
          >
          > If we do decide to sub it out we'll most likely write a formal RFP that
          > will
          > likely include one of two options.
          >
          > RFP Options
          >
          > 1. Flash work only.
          > The university will do all of the art direction, content development. We
          > will
          > essentially hand off all of the content and storyboards for the flash
          > developer
          > to create.
          >
          > 2. Everything
          > The vendor will handle the art direction, content creation and flash
          > development. We will provide artwork and content as needed but the vendor
          > will
          > be the driving force behind the project.
          >
          > If you were considering a project like this, which of the two options
          > would
          > you prefer and what would you like to see outlined in a potential RFP?

The answer depends on how much the university knows about producing digital
          media, especially for use in this type of project AND it would depend on the
          design skills of the developer. If neither the developer nor the university
          possesses this skill set, you are up a crick without a paddle, as we say in
          Mississippi. If I were you, I'd look for a developer who either has strong
          graphics credentials or who has worked on several projects of this type with
          designers who work for the client who can help you get an accurate feel for
          whether trying to handle the art direction, etc., yourself will cost you
          money or save you money.

But take that FWIW from someone who started life as a graphic designer LOL.

HTH;

Amy