Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canvas print size?

Participant ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.
I received an assignment to make a graphic design for a canvas which will be used for the background of a live TV show. The height of the canvas is approximately 3 meters and the width is around 5 meters. My question is what do the project settings have to be? I know I have to set the color mode to CMYK but I'm not sure about the size. Do I have to set the project to 500x300 cm?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it should be around 500 x 300 cm (or vice versa, depending on need for landscape or portrait use).

You'll have to decide what resolution to use. Using a high DPI, e.g., 300 DPI, at that size might slow your system to a crawl. If this background isn't going to be very visible or at a distance, you can definitely get away with a lower DPI, like 150.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick response. It is going to be a very visible BG so I will set the DPI to max. My laptop can take it. Is there something else I might be missing? I will also use gamma 1.0. Is there a possibility the colors not to come out the way I made them inside of PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering the use, 50 ppi will be plenty. That's still a very big file at around 7900 pixels wide - or a little bigger than a native file from a Nikon D800/810. Nobody ever complained about resolution in the D810.

We need to put "300 ppi" to rest right away. That's 59 000 pixels! Trust me - that's insane.

And no, you don't set the color mode to CMYK. You ask the printer what CMYK profile they want. Remember, this will be judged against natural skin color, so color accuracy should be taken seriously here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually this made me think. A very real issue here is moiré - interference patterns between the two sets of pixels (background and TV camera). You can see this with certain types of fabric. It's only a risk if the background pixel pattern is very contrasty, but nevertheless, I'd ask someone familiar with studio TV production. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines