6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2008 10:12 AM by rechtut

One intercative with two outputs

arq
      I need to develop an intercative with a touchscreen and a plasma screen, The intercativity has to be on the touchscreen and what the plasma screen displays depends on that interactivity. In other words, The plasma screen only has to display the option that user choose from a menu on the touchscreen (the menu is always visible on the touchscreen). How can I do it?... Thanks for your help.
        • 1. Re: One intercative with two outputs
          James Newton, ACP Level 3
          The easiest option would be to connect both screens to the same computer, and share the desktop between them. You could then make the stage stretch across both screens, and place the controller elements on the part of the stage that appears on the touch screen and the view elements on the part that appears on the plasma screen. The screens do not need to be placed physically in the same positions as they are set up for the desktop-sharing.

A more complex system might use a Movie In A Window for the controls, and use "tell the stage" to display the non-interactive elements on the stage, which would appear on the plasma screen.

Finally, if the distance between the touch screen and the plasma screen is so great that you cannot run both connection cables from the same machine, then you could set up a simple peer-to-peer multiuser system between two machines on the same network. If you choose this option, and are not familiar with Director's multiuser xtra, then it might make sense to take the discussion to the multiuser forum.
          • 2. Re: One intercative with two outputs
            arq Level 1
            Ok, Thanks a lot...The last scenary is the correct, so I have to try with 2 machines and of course research about it. Thank you for your help.
            • 3. Re: One intercative with two outputs
              Level 7
              I've done a fair amount of "experimenting" with using the MUS xtra to
              make a P2P application. It's fairly easy to make one movie that can
              sends messages over a network to control another.

I've got some code I would be happy to share if you are interested.
              email me at d g c w e b a t b e l l s o u t h d o t n e t (remove the
              spaces and replace with the symbols).

arq wrote:
              > Ok, Thanks a lot...The last scenary is the correct, so I have to try with 2 machines and of course research about it. Thank you for your help.
              • 4. Re: One intercative with two outputs
                rechtut Level 1
                i have done a lot of both, as i do mostly work for museum installations.

Unless there is a physical limitation (such as the cable distance mentioned above), do NOT do the peer-to-peer. P2P is great, good and solid, but just is not worth the effort and the research. not to mention that you will need 2 PCs (well, that depends)

a decent quality dual head graphic card will give you a 2304x1024 stage and as openspark mentioned, you just show the relevant part of the stage on the coresponding monitor/projector.

with a bit more detail on your project, i may be able to give you a better advice. like i said, i have been down this road way too many times
                • 5. Re: One intercative with two outputs
                  Level 7
                  The OP never got back with me, but I have created parent script and a
                  'configuration' tool that generates the Lingo to call the parent script.
                  Using these it takes very little research or effort to setup a P2P
                  connection using the multiuser xtra.

However I do agree, if the distance is not too great and the OP has the
                  ability to dictate the hardware, the dual head graphics card is probably
                  the way to go.

rechtut wrote:
                  > i have done a lot of both, as i do mostly work for museum installations.
                  >
                  > Unless there is a physical limitation (such as the cable distance mentioned
                  > above), do NOT do the peer-to-peer. P2P is great, good and solid, but just is
                  > not worth the effort and the research. not to mention that you will need 2 PCs
                  > (well, that depends)
                  >
                  > a decent quality dual head graphic card will give you a 2304x1024 stage and as
                  > openspark mentioned, you just show the relevant part of the stage on the
                  > coresponding monitor/projector.
                  >
                  > with a bit more detail on your project, i may be able to give you a better
                  > advice. like i said, i have been down this road way too many times
                  >
                  • 6. Re: One intercative with two outputs
                    rechtut Level 1
                    dave, i will SO very happily take your script and tool; use it whenever i can and in return praise your name to the gods of lingo every chance i get.

e: misha(that funny little symbol)cyan-animatica(dot)com