• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Connect using Contribute

Participant ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks, I've used Contribute for 10 years +, and as of a few months ago I can't connect. I know this is the Dreamweaver forum but there's no one left on the Contribute forum. I use Contribute 6.5.

I can FTP to my site  using FileZilla, but that's no use to me as I know almost nothing about coding and need Contribute to edit my site. https://woodsshop.com/

WoodsShop Creative Builders, San Diego, Calif. - Creative Home Deck Design/Build. Fine-Custom Outdoo...

I'm hoping to get some help here with my connection issue. Someone who helped me update my site to modern coding last year is still able to Connect.

I got a new Win 7 computer beginning of the year but was able to edit my site for months before this connection issue started.

Can anyone help, or, is there any paid Adobe support I can turn to?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

OK Folks, my Host did a shared screen with me, and watched the server as I tried to login. It took him way over 1/2 hour, and after working with Adobe also we found the solution!-

Keep in mind I know nothing about these things, but a big part of the problem seemed to be Contribute not working with my https.

What my Host did-

I have updated the TLS compatibility on the server to support all version. Please try it now. Otherwise I think you would be ok to update it with http and then the server will

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last release of Contribute was in 2012, sales and support stopped earlier this year. As far as i know there is no alternative route offered to Contribute users for any support, beyond the recommendation to use another Adobe product such as Dreamweaver, or Buisness Catalyst -

http://businesscatalyst.com

Another alternative is to use a cms such as wordpress or drupal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a huge website that was created in Dreamweaver so can't use any other website editor on it besides Contribute Dreamweaver. But I could be wrong about that? Is Business Catalyst a WYSIWYG??

I don't know coding anyway and need a WYSIWYG editor. I've heard Dreamweaver has a WYSIWYG function built in to it, would that be similar to Contribute, and would I be able to use that without knowing any coding?

I appreciate the help with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dw is not really a wysiwyg tool, and a reasonable knowledge of code is expected. As for BC, it is also not a visual tool.

If you do not know coding, then even transfering your site to use Dw is probably not an option, one should consider. If you can use Contribute with a 3rd party ftp tool, that is probably the only real option open to you, but not as a long term solution.

It may be worth looking at using a free trial of BC, as that program with the pages created from a template may be a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn can't edit my post, that should have been,

so can't use any other website editor on it besides Contribute or Dreamweaver. But I could be wrong about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the code used by Contribute is proprietary for Contribute and not recognised by any other editor.

Even moving it to a program like Muse, would require you to recreate all the pages again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know much about Contribute but it sounds like something used to good effect some years back for creating editable areas in a static website, specifically linked to Dreamweaver, which has been on life-support. I suspect its a static way of updating a few areas of a website without the need for a database.

These days if you want a simple WYSIWYG way of updating a static website I'd consider investigation a flat file cms like sitecake.

https://sitecake.com/

It will require a bit of a rethink but if Contribute is all but dead in water you have to consider were to go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn not good news folks ..

how about we try and figure out why I can't connect / login to Contribute? There has to be a reason and hopefully a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be worth checking with your hosting provider, to ask them if they have made any changes to the ftp protocol requirements.

In Dw check if any of the items in this article help -

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/commontroubleshooting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never used Contribute but I suspect the FTP app is the same one used by previous versions of Dreamweaver.

What error messages do you receive?

Why can't you continue to use Filezilla to transfer files?

Nancy

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll ask my Host again,

Nancy, I've never used a FTP to do anything to my site except go there and delete LCK files. I don't know how to transfer files.

The only error mssg I get is that my username of password isn't correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe_FromSD  wrote

I'll ask my Host again,

Nancy, I've never used a FTP to do anything to my site except go there and delete LCK files. I don't know how to transfer files.

The only error mssg I get is that my username of password isn't correct.

If youre getting a message that your username and password isnt correct then either you have typed them in incorrectly or something has changed since you last logged in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the same login Info that I use with the FTP. Aren't those the same??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe_FromSD  wrote

I'm using the same login Info that I use with the FTP. Aren't those the same??

You said in a previous post:

'Someone who helped me update my site to modern coding last year is still able to Connect'.

I assume you mean they are still able to work with Contribute - so what connection details are they using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be the same.  Maybe the Contribute file got corrupted.  Can you create a new connection in Contribute?

In Dreamweaver, the Site Set-up panel looks like this:

CC-RootFolder.jpg

Click on More Options:

CC-MoreOptions.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried making a new connection but then it says I already have one.

how do these Settings look??

1 Settings.png

Folks I appreciate all the help you're giving me, and on a Sunday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure your username is not 'woodsshop' rather than 'woodssho' ?

Have you also tried unchecking 'FTP performance optimization checkbox'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's always been woodssho, without the P,

I just tried unchecking FTP performance optimization and that didn't help.

maybe I should Remove the Connection and set up a new one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe_FromSD  wrote

maybe I should Remove the Connection and set up a new one?

Yes.  Try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that didn't work, it still says login Info is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if anything in this link helps you.

Troubleshoot Contribute connection problems

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MVP, he's able to connect to my website, but he doesn't use Contribute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this be an issue with my AV, Avast? Sorry, I need to figure this out!

I have an exclusion in there for Contribute, does this look right?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Contribute 6.5\App\*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling anti-virus and firewalls for a minute to see if you can connect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn, I was hopeful but that didn't work Nancy,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines