Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SDK examples don't run on OSX Sierra

Explorer ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

i used the sdk before a couple of years ago for win.

Now I am using OSX. I got the 2015 for CC15. The examples compile as soon as i change the base SDK to current 10.12, and once i copy the .plugin files

Photoshop loads them and shows they are loaded in "System info".

They also show up in the Menu entries. Unfortunately they do nothing, not even a UI is opened.

Looking the the code I saw that there are ifdefs __LP64__. The LP64 parts do nothing, the !__LP64__ parts have some ui code.

Does this mean that no 64bit arcs are supported on OSX? OSX is only 64 bit right now so this var is always set.

Is there a way to use the examples in OS X?

Thanks

Dimi

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should run but most do not show a UI. Look for log files that some generate.

The Dissolve example is the best for showing how to wire up a UI to your project. That example is in the filters folder. That example can be leveraged to do UI in other plug-in types.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom

thanks for the reply.

At least the Outbound and Simple format do nothing, since there is no UI no FileSave dialog is displayed nothing is saved.

All the filters rely on UI for parameters etc. they also do nothing.  I havent checked the examples that only outup a log like the listener.

In the documentation it states that on 32bit the UI shows since adobe examples use Carbon. But on 64 bit only the Dissolve example is usable. The 64 bit SDK only supports Cocoa, for which nothing is available in the SDK.

I looked at the Dissolve example, and it needs objective-C and cocoa, which is new for me.

As an alternative I am looking into extensions and HTML panels and scripting for doing my work on OSX. I only needed some automation anyway.

This question probably belongs to another thread, but the nice thing of HTML panels is that they can be non model and dock to the Photoshop UI. Can something similar be supported using plugins C++/SDK?

Thanks

Dimi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only need automation then I would try using JavaScript. Our JavaScript has ScriptUI for creating a modal UI for users to select parameters.

If you like HTML, you can leverage the CEP documentation to create a panel or modal dialogs. You can call your C++ plug-in similar to how the Harness.jsx script tests the SDK. (See below)

As for "do nothing"... if you are talking about a UI then yes, they "do nothing". Creating a UI is a bunch of busy work and takes away from what you can do with the Photoshop API. The Apple forums are a better source for your UI needs.

SimpleFormat works for me for writing and reading files. The Outbound example "does something" but it fails during the CreateExportFile step. Since there is no UI on mac for all but Dissolve that example can be leveraged to add UI to your project.

Drag and drop the Harness.jsx file found in the misc folder onto your running Photoshop. What kind of results do you get from that? I get 12 PASS and 1 Bug for Outbound. You can also start the ExtendScript Toolkit to see log messages from the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Tom

i really appreciate all your efforts thank you. I think Javascript and CEP/HTML extensions might be a better choice for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding the C++ SDK, I am using CC2015 and the respective SDK and Sierra OSX.

The Outbound does not crash, if you follow its codepath, the CreateExportFile() returns false which exits the plugin and does nothing. It appears in Harness.jsx as a BUG but its just missing implementation.

The simpleformat looks ok.

Here is the result of harness.jsx which does not look ok though. I did not compile all sample plugins.

Fri May 19 2017 19:09:18 GMT+0300

Harness Version: 0.0.6

Application: Adobe Photoshop

Application Version: 16.0.0

Application Build: 16.0.0 (20150529.r.88 2015/05/29:23:59:59)

Scripting Version: 16.0.0

Scripting Build: May 29 2015 00:23:12

ExtendScript Version: 4.5.6

ExtendScript Build: 80.1017022

ExtendScript Build Date: Fri Apr 17 2015 16:55:22 GMT+0300

ERROR:  12.806 secs : ColorMunger.jsx : ReferenceError: eArray is undefined : Line : 56 : FileName : Harness.jsx

FAIL:  30.431 secs : Dissolve.jsx

FAIL:   0.132 secs : FindPluginInSystemInfo.jsx

ERROR:   0.639 secs : Getter.jsx : Error: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.

- The command “<unknown>” is not currently available. : Line : 16 : FileName : Harness.jsx

FAIL:  24.145 secs : GradientImport.jsx

FAIL:   2.194 secs : History.jsx

FAIL:   0.216 secs : Listener.jsx

PASS:   0.112 secs : NearestBase.jsx

BUG: PIOpenFile not implemented:   0.227 secs : Outbound.jsx

PASS:   0.184 secs : PoorMansTypeTool.jsx

PASS:   0.116 secs : Propetizer.jsx

FAIL:   0.047 secs : SelectoramaShape.jsx

PASS: 327.444 secs : SimpleFormat.jsx

PassCount: 4

BugCount: 1

FailCount: 8

UnknownCount: 0

Pass %:  33.333

Total Time: 398.703 secs

Test Time: 385.248 secs

Harness Time %:   3.374

This is one of the the errors i get when Harness run on Dissolve.

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 19.09.27.png

Thank you

Dimi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines