5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 11:29 PM by Gutter-Fish

AE CC 2017.x painfully slow UI

William Patin

Ever since switching to Windows 10 earlier this year, working in AE has been a pain in the a**–a problem that has been addressed quite a few times in this forum. I've seen this problem appear in PS on a late 2013 iMac (3,5GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA 780m) when using GPU accelerated features, but thought it would be a temporary issue, while Adobe switches more and more towards GPU acceleration. Now that I am on a Win 10 i7-6900k Workstation (32GB RAM, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070), AE is suffering the same overall lagging.

AE's UI refresh rate approx. drops down to 2fps when scrolling/navigating in the Effects Control or Composition panel. It doesn't matter whether I'm working on an empty or a heavy project, the issue occurs from the very first moment on AE is loaded. The irony of it all, is that the performance in the Viewport is good, so GPU acceleration is working fine in the background. Only the UI isn't benefiting acceleration.

Here are some further informations:

• my NVIDIA Control Panel settings for AE are set to use the GPU's and the overall settings, the NVIDIA drivers are being updated regularly
      • the Creative Cloud and the Adobe Apps are all up to date
      • I'm running the OS and Apps from an SSD, the AE Cache is set to an internal HDD 7200rpm though
      • the issue has been persisting since I set up my workstation in January 2017

Any ideas on how to fix this? The same AE version on the iMac isn't affected.