• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import catalog does not change file name

New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experimenting with ways to do some editing (just selected files--say a vacation) on my laptop.  Exporting the photos I want to edit to another Lightroom catalog either to an SD card or OneDrive folder works okay for most things.  However if I change the file name in the export catalog (okay it's a bad habit, I used to do this to keep track of which files I'd edited when I started with PSE) when i import the catalog back into my desktop, while Lightroom does figure out which photo it is, it doesn't change the file name.  Any way I can do this?

I've tried both change metadata and change metadata and import changed files.  I do have "preview" checked and the changed photo selected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

If the only reason you change names is to identify the images you have edited then you can accomplish that after you bring the changes back to the main catalog.

Immediately after importing they will be available in the Previous Import collection the Catalog Panel. Then you can rename them.

If you choose to keep a copy of the files with no edits make sure you select "Preserve old Settings as Virtual Copy." upon import.

Screenshot 2017-05-16 23.20.48.png

However, I feel there is a flaw in your workflow as I understand it. Allow me to

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Export" is not the process you are looking for.

When looking to move edits from one catalog to another, you want the "export as catalog" and "import from catalog" options in the File menu.

When you "export as catalog", you can specify to include the actual files or not. Either way, you will want to have renamed your files prior to the export. (Renaming the files for your reason is a bad idea to start with.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did use export as catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the only reason you change names is to identify the images you have edited then you can accomplish that after you bring the changes back to the main catalog.

Immediately after importing they will be available in the Previous Import collection the Catalog Panel. Then you can rename them.

If you choose to keep a copy of the files with no edits make sure you select "Preserve old Settings as Virtual Copy." upon import.

Screenshot 2017-05-16 23.20.48.png

However, I feel there is a flaw in your workflow as I understand it. Allow me to offer an alternative.

From the desktop catalog, Export a given set of images and select the following

Screenshot 2017-05-16 23.32.42.png

this way you will be able to edit the images (as they are smart copies) without duplicating files. Then when you're ready to import them back to the desktop catalog you need only select Metadata and Develop Settings.

Then perform names as required, if required and while you're at it create a collection of those files that have been edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will have to change my workflow if I want to use the laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines