May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win7 64bit

Intel i7 5820k

Nvidia gpu GTX 670

32gb of DDR4

512gb SSD (samsung 850 pro)

I have fast PC, can play new games 1080p at medium settings with 60fps (bf1, doom4), yet lightroom is slow. I tried creating new catalog to SSD (lightroom is already there) and moving the picture to SSD too, but it didn't make things faster. I updated not very long ago from i7 2600k + 16gb ddr3 to this CPU and memory, but it seems the lightroom performance stayed exactly the same: slow.

Changing the the GPU to "off" from lightroom settings seems to make somethings faster, but overall it doesn't have positive effect, because if I recall, some other stuff becomes slower without GPU acceleration. I seriously doubt my gpu is lagging, because like I said, I play games which should be much more demanding and they work just fine, yet lightroom is slow for some reason.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a six core CPU and LR seems to have issues with more than 4 cores.

There are ways to limit LR to use only 4 cores. I don't remember the exact procedure. This has been discussed here in the forum and a search should return some results pretty quick.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us the exact actions in Lightroom that are slow. Please be very specific.

Tell us the exact version NUMBER of your Lightroom.

There has been much discussion about how Lightroom runs best on 4-core CPUs, and your CPU is a 6 core CPU. There has also been some advice on how to force LR to use 4 cores, and that speeds Lightroom up for some people, you will have to search the forums to find out how to do that, I don't really remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom version: 6.10 [ 1111918 ]

There are couple of things where it's slow. I may be pixel peeping / checking certain areas of the image in develop or library module, with the magnifying glass / zoom tool. The image may looks pixelated in the zoomed area for a while before it loads in full resolution. Other use where it's slow is when I'm going "next next next" picture in library mode, trying to flag/rate pictures for "keep/deletion", it takes a while to load the new image in full resolution. Now you could argue that this is probably because I'm only making "minimal" previews for my images in the import process, but I've seen other software go through these same raw files with much more haste, loading instantaneously. I even ran across an article suggesting a third party program for "this part of the workflow" (culling), because it can load images much faster. These programs don't create previews like lightroom does, so I doubt my minimal preview preset is the issue.

I tried creating a shortcut to launch lightroom in 4-core affinity mode  (as suggested in other thread Re: Terrible performance in LR - Fantastic in PP. What gives?!  ) , but that didn't seem to affect my performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you could argue that this is probably because I'm only making "minimal" previews for my images in the import process, but I've seen other software go through these same raw files with much more haste, loading instantaneously

Not only will I argue this, but what other programs do is irrelevant because Lightroom relies on previews that have been built. If you have built minimal previews, then Lightroom has to generate (which takes time) the full sized previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of previews does this program require? I created standard previews for some new images, and it's still far far too slow when browsing to next images, and it starts "loading" for 1-2 seconds when zooming somewhere. I don't understand why lightroom requires previews to browse through images whilst some other program doesn't, and are also faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most other programs show you the JPG preview that is embedded in all RAW files. Lightroom shows you the previews it has generated, so if it has to spend time generating the previews, then you will see this slowness.

Maybe you should try generating full size previews. It's a tradeoff .. spend the time at Import generating full size previews, or spend the time generating previews when the user wants to see the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines