• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Damaged CR2 files!!

New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! So the other day I had a portrait session and a chuck of images in the middle of my session do not show up in Photoshop or Lightroom.

Photoshop says "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file"

Lightroom says. "preview unavailable for this file" when I go to import them. Then when I import it it says " this file appears to be unsupported or damaged.

Ive tried to "recover" and all that jazz through different programs I've downloaded to my mac. That isn't working. Is there another way to fix these damaged files? I can't preview them on my mac either. but it does show a file size.

HELP!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Lightroom and Photoshop are you using? What camera are you using? Are you able to see the previews of the images on the LCD on the camera? Have you been able to work on images from this camera with Lightroom and Photoshop previously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon 5d mark iii

PS CS5.1

LR 5

I don't think the preview came up on the camera. I'm a full time photographer and I've never had this happen once. The remaining 600 photos from that session are fine and work perfectly. Its just a chuck of 96 images that were in the middle of the session

I also tried them on my boyfriends computer with the newest LR & PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed the part about "middle of the session". I don't believe this is a Lightroom issue. I'm guessing this might be a problem with the card you are using. You indicated that you also tried looking at these images on your boyfriends computer with the newest Lightroom and Photoshop. Did you see the same behavior on his computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the card back in the camera and see if you can view these files on the camera.  If you can't it is probably a camera or card issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Lightroom CC, 2015.9. Camera Raw 9.9

7D Mk2. Files show 29-31 mb size, but file is unrecognized or damaged when attempting to import into Lightroom.

Sierra 10.12.5, 24 mb ram

Files no longer viewable in camera, but during todays shooting they were viewable by LCD screen on 7D mk2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chompsky  wrote

Same problem. Lightroom CC, 2015.9. Camera Raw 9.9

7D Mk2. Files show 29-31 mb size, but file is unrecognized or damaged when attempting to import into Lightroom.

Files no longer viewable in camera, but during todays shooting they were viewable by LCD screen on 7D mk2.

You more than like have a faulty memory card. LR never ever changes the original image files. Never meaning never whether you are copying the files off the card to a drive connected to your computer or once they are referenced into the LR Catalog file, a Database file, and you are making adjustments to them. The original image files are never modified. So that leaves only the card, card reader or cable that can be at fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viewable on the camera screen doesn't mean anything, your RAW files contain an embedded JPG which is often uncorrupted when the original RAW is corrupted; or it could be the card is fine but the transfer to the computer was the cause of the corruption.

Files show 29-31 mb size, but file is unrecognized or damaged when attempting to import into Lightroom.

Please quote the exact word-for-word unedited error message, verbatim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I experienced the same.

When I use micro SD inserted to an SD adapter then insert to my camera (Canon), it sometimes fails to write after taking a photo, flashing the red light on your camera body forever, meaning that there is something wrong with writing that image to the memory card. I have waited until it is done, but it never ended. I guess the corrupted photos are taken after this occurred. It keeps going on until I remove and insert the SD card again to the camera.

I cannot preview those pics (except for the first corrupted one which is partially shown). These pics still says it has some size (such as 20MB), but they are not readable with Photoshop, Lightroom, and so on. For the partially viewable image (though it is just one), I could repair it by using jpegdigger since each RAW file contains jpeg version of it inside the file. However, for the following photos that were taken after the corrupted one, I could not find any solution to repair them.

Please share any suggestion/comment if you found something more about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines